Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basic 3 wire alternator wiring question
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub45
I've searched and can't find an exact answer...I have no confidence on how I've wired my alternator.

I have a '41 Ford truck with a Chevy 327 motor with a very basic wiring harness (and self made). Here's what I have. Forgive me this is my first post and I'll do my best to get it right.

I have the main wire from the battery wire directly to the starter lug (I'd guess 2 gauge wire).

Then a 12 gauge wire from the starter lug to lug on the 3 way alternator (I honestly don't no if it's internally or externally regulated...I'd guess internally).

I have a "wake-up wire" from the ign on terminal to the #1 blade on the alternator.

I've left the #2 lug unhooked.

I've had both the battery and the alternator tested and they both have passed their respective tests at the auto parts store.

The problem: I have no confidence it's wired correctly and the battery doesn't seem to be charging. I had a battery that would not turn over the motor yesterday...nothing was left on. Just want to know if it's wired right?

Thanks in advance!
12 gauge wire to the main stud on the alternator is NOT BIG ENOUGH. You need 8 gauge. That alternator is capable of at least 60 amps and that 12 gauge will burn up. It would be a shame to burn your car over 5 bucks worth of wire. You also need to connect the number 2 terminal to a switched source somewhere near the fuse block if you want the alternator run run at peak performance.

Chet