"Basics of Basics" Sprung door repair. - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I need help asap.My husband is so stressed about our door he's missed work because you can't drive a truck with the door wide open and we already don't have a dime to our name please if y'all can give me a fix so I can help him and one where we don't have to spend any money please help.We have a 2000 ford f150 my husband noticed a gas can in the back had tipped over and he freaked cause all ours and our kids clothes are in garbage bags back there we just got done spending a fortunte at the laundromat so he quickly jumped out and thought he put the truck in park but it was in reverse the door got caught on something going backwards down hill I couldn't jump over fast enough to stop it and by the time he was able to jump in and stop it the door Damn near opened to the fender.Where the fender meets the door is all dented in and the door comes about 4 inches from shutting.He's tried everything to try to at least get it to click shut so he can work we've had people promise to help but as always we are on our own.We also have a handicapped wheel chair bound son who needs rides to school and therapy apointments.Please tell me there's something we can do even a temporary fix as long as the door will shut.I'm desperate.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 05:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
WOW, That exploder sounds like a real Piece o crap.
I think you should worry more about making it safe and get the shifter linkage adjusted before worrying about driving it again and hurting someone. Not being able to get the door open is a good thing.
I don't think the tire shop should be responsible at all. You should have said something and there should have been a big WARNING sign so the tecs would know the thing was unsafe to drive. YOUR lucky nobody got hurt, I believe you would be liable.
This site is for people that have an interest in working on cars and want to improve their abilities.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Plz help asap.

I am new to this I have made one other post hopefully I did it all right but this time I will post pics.Brian PLZ help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1492626748748-1131663482_1492626771276.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	355081  

Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,711 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
WOW, That exploder sounds like a real Piece o crap.
I think you should worry more about making it safe and get the shifter linkage adjusted before worrying about driving it again and hurting someone. Not being able to get the door open is a good thing.
I don't think the tire shop should be responsible at all. You should have said something and there should have been a big WARNING sign so the tecs would know the thing was unsafe to drive. YOUR lucky nobody got hurt, I believe you would be liable.
This site is for people that have an interest in working on cars and want to improve their abilities.
Not so funny, this happened at a Walmart Tire and Lube where they did something to my gear shift and they couldn't get it to go into park so they left it in neutral. When an attempt was made to put it into park, the explorer went into reverse instead while the door was open and the door was forced open by a post. They didn't write up a report, they just told me that they couldn't do any work on my truck with the gear shift not going into park properly and told me that I had to leave.

DBM, it says nothing of there being a problem, THEY made a problem and should be liable for the damage.

Unless I am missing something here.

Brian
Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGill4 View Post
I am new to this I have made one other post hopefully I did it all right but this time I will post pics.Brian PLZ help...
That is possibly bent too far to fix it with my little sprung door tip. The hinges and hinge mounting on both the door and the cowl may be very badly bent and in need of much more repair than I have outlined here.

But do exactly as the first post describes and you may make it happen.

Good luck, hope it goes well. If you were nearby I would run over and see what I can do.

Brian
Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Thank you?.

I don't know what happened but here are the other pics.Maybe this will make a difference?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1492630788850-808838941_1492630827969.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	355089   Click image for larger version

Name:	1492632371608-355910600_1492632391241.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	355097  
Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM

The lower hinge looks pretty funky, and the check strap (the black thing that keeps the door from swinging open too far) has got to be destroyed for the door to have opened that far. I am thinking you need to bring that to a professional.

If I had that truck in front of me it would take me a long time to get that door "working" and if there was anything I could tell you right now I would but honestly, to walk you through this one would be damn hard.

If you started by reading the first post and trying some of those things you may do something. The worse part is the design of the hinge doesn't allow you to stick something into it. You can put a piece of wood as I am showing in the photos provided.

The door looks to be bend more at the bottom hinge (which is most common) which means it's bent more forward as well, this is why the rear of the door is down. So if you bend the lower hinge first with the block of wood like I show then you can get it up even more even too high in the rear, that will show you the door is moving BACK at the bottom. You then put the wood at the top hinge and close the door applying some pressure and it will bend the top hinge pushing the door back.

Start with the bottom and move it back and up at the rear a little I would stay stop when it's level in the back then do the top then the bottom again. But be checking all the time at how the door is closing and see if it's getting close. If you go too far it's very hard to come back. Go to the top hinge then the bottom then back to the top moving it a little at a time.

And there is a very real posibility you will do a little damage to the door jamb on the body where the hinge is bolted. You don't want to, but you may and if that gets you out of this jamb and you end up with a little damage there so be it. I am thinking it will be worth it to get you out of the bind you are in.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP1279.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	355105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1280.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	355113  
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Thank you

I actually followed those steps and I remebered my dad teaching me this as a kid when those Minnesota blizzards had strong winds!Im very proud(my hubby not so proud he worked on it for two days)It took me 4 minutes.Thank you!!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGill4 View Post
I actually followed those steps and I remebered my dad teaching me this as a kid when those Minnesota blizzards had strong winds!Im very proud(my hubby not so proud he worked on it for two days)It took me 4 minutes.Thank you!!
LOLOL, I love it, you made my day! Your dad rocks!

Brian
Old 05-26-2017, 10:29 AM

First off Thanks. Secondly, another problem as "popped" up

First off thank you so much for your help during my previous post from a couple of months ago. I thought I had posted that your suggestions on how to fix the door did work perfectly (Walmart refused to fix the door long story short and in truth I ended up having all sorts of problems with managers in that walmart over even simple issues like returns ever since so I refuse to go there now...but the door was fixed).

Funny thing that though... when walmart did what they did to the door, a small device below the bottom hindge, the piece that keeps the door open and from flying open too far) shattered too.

That was not an issue, I was just safe with the door opening and closing, until yesterday. I opened the door to go into a store and the wind whipped the door out of my hands.

I don't believe (although I am guessing and going by "look") but the hinges look like that haven't moved (I could be wrong but the door looks to be "even" on the top and bottom with the door space when I try to close the door.

The catch, again, is that when I open the door, the front driver's side panel (on the driver's side of the engine) buckles in, toward the engine itself.

The last time, the door was hanging low and the back end and I used the tools suggested and it moved back into place fine, although I had to get a dent kit after using the socket in the hinge to bend the front panel into place to let the door close (it only took one try at that though and it has worked perfectly until yesterday).

I wish I could take a picture but my phone's charging port died yesterday too.

I was seeing about a 1/4 inch door's hinges when the door was closed when looking at the gap where the hinges meet the front panel so it was a decent size gap that I had to bend back into place. I tried using the dent repair spoon and I can admit that it did move the panel almost all the way to the correct spot.

The problem is that I think i have used the spoon as much as it will work to move the panel into place.

Now you can't see the hinges but when I open the door the panel and door still meet enough that I have to use the spoon every time to open the door enough to get inside. If I could move the door back, toward the back of the truck, even a 1/8th of an inch, I honestly believe that it would be perfect again.

Funny thing is that in my head, I can't figure out what I need to do to the hinges to move the door toward the back of the truck.

Like I said, the top of the door and the bottom of the door when closing it, seem to be even with the door space (the body frame that the door sits into when it is closed) (sometimes I use the wrong terminology, I am a little bit of a novice, I know a some but want/need to know more lol). So whatever I do to the top hinge, I believe has to be done to the bottom hinge but what that "ever" is, I am technically lost on.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This truck has been a ton of trouble but it's all we have for now lol (I had to change out the entire steering column and steering wheel this week too because the gear shift's column shifter broke twice (after being taken to two different repair shops to try to get it fixed and the second shop wanting to charge me $1,000 to fix it a third time, I fixed it myself for $60 and it's working like a charm). I also have to change a worn drive belt on it tomorrow. I have changed out the alternator, starter, battery, fuel pump, hoses (of course). Every month it seems to be something new lol.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:44 AM

The door is spung, it's the same as before, it's sprung forward.

You REALLY need to put a new "Check strap", the thing that holds the door from swinging too far, you REALLY need to put a new one.

Brian
Old 05-26-2017, 10:59 AM

So putting a socket (same size in both hinge) and then slowly closing the door should work. Thanks. I did not want to mess something up by accident lol.

That piece is called a checking strap? Can those be bought at stores like auto zone? or would I have to go to a dealer?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beodawn View Post
So putting a socket (same size in both hinge) and then slowly closing the door should work. Thanks. I did not want to mess something up by accident lol.

That piece is called a checking strap? Can those be bought at stores like auto zone? or would I have to go to a dealer?
A "Check strap," it's only going to be at the dealer or a wrecking yard.

It's called a "Check strap" because years ago it was a "strap" literally. Here is a Model A and you can see this strap that held the door from opening too far.

Brian
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Not moving

Hello again,

I tried the same size sockets in the top and bottom hinges but I noticed that the door was once again lower at the back of the door, making it the same problem that it was a couple of months ago. I can't really remember: when the door is low on the back end, do I put a socket in the top hinge or the bottom hinge to raise the bottom of the door?
Old 05-26-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beodawn View Post
Hello again,

I tried the same size sockets in the top and bottom hinges but I noticed that the door was once again lower at the back of the door, making it the same problem that it was a couple of months ago. I can't really remember: when the door is low on the back end, do I put a socket in the top hinge or the bottom hinge to raise the bottom of the door?
On the lower hinge, that will push it back raising the rear do the door.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in