"Basics of Basics" Sprung door repair. - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I thought that I could no longer see the hinges when I close the door but I was wrong.

The door itself seems to be seated too far out from the door frame. The wind did that, not trying the sockets. The sockets just didn't seem to change anything sadly.

With the door sitting (while closed) about an 3/8 of an inch too far out from the door frame and body (sort of like when you see a hydraulic door in a movie come straight out from the wall before tilting up toward the ceiling; the door when closed is straight out from the door frame by about 3/8 of an inch); that seems to me that the hinges aren't closing tight enough.

I think that when the wind blew the door, it "opened" the hinges too much, like what putting a socket in the hinge and closing the door slowly would have done. At least I think that's right.

I think that I can solve the issue if I can get the hinges to become more compact instead of expanding them but I am uncertain how to do that.

I know that is the exact opposite of your suggestions but I was hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction. Maybe .

Or if I am way off, that would be good to know too lol

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,029 Times in 4,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beodawn View Post
I thought that I could no longer see the hinges when I close the door but I was wrong.

The door itself seems to be seated too far out from the door frame. The wind did that, not trying the sockets. The sockets just didn't seem to change anything sadly.

With the door sitting (while closed) about an 3/8 of an inch too far out from the door frame and body (sort of like when you see a hydraulic door in a movie come straight out from the wall before tilting up toward the ceiling; the door when closed is straight out from the door frame by about 3/8 of an inch); that seems to me that the hinges aren't closing tight enough.

I think that when the wind blew the door, it "opened" the hinges too much, like what putting a socket in the hinge and closing the door slowly would have done. At least I think that's right.

I think that I can solve the issue if I can get the hinges to become more compact instead of expanding them but I am uncertain how to do that.

I know that is the exact opposite of your suggestions but I was hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction. Maybe .

Or if I am way off, that would be good to know too lol
You are missing the point here. Go back and look at the first posts in this thread and study them. "Out" is forward, the hinge pin gets bent forward, yes it could be "out" bit more likely went forward and then it bend the fender in and that is making the door look like it's out.

Look at the photos again, your socket may be damaging the pillar or door INSTEAD of pushing the door back where it belongs.

Brian
Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 PM

What make model and year is this again that you are working on?

Brian

Old 05-26-2017, 03:00 PM

2002 ford explorer xlt
Old 05-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Oh for heaven's sake lol.

Going back over the beginning of the thread, I think I see the problem... I was putting the socket in the wrong place on the hinge. I was putting the socket on the "inside" of the hinge, closest to the back end of the truck.

The pictures show placing the socket on the side of the hinge closest to the front of the truck.

I don't know if that would make a difference but I guess that could be it.

What do you think?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:09 PM

I don't know if I grasp what you are saying, but just read the first posts and get the idea of what happens here. I do know that I looked up what the hinge looks like on that truck and it is a little bit of a problem because the hinge is open in the middle and the socket can crush the door instead of bending the hinge and mounting.

Just read the post, look at the photos and diagrams and get the IDEA of what it is doing, don't worry about details, get the IDEA of how this works and you can make it happen.

Brian
Old 05-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Thanks ) I appreciate the help
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 AM

Hello, i see this post hasn't been active in while but i hope you can help me. My door is sagging badly to the point i can't even close the door. I have replaced the door hinges but it seems like it did not fix the sagging problem. I'm wondering if the socket trick will work before i do it on my door. Thanks
Old 11-10-2018, 09:13 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

do you suspect the hinges were moved? Are they in the same exact location as before? Do you suspect any damage to the upper or lower hinge area(pillar). Let me know which one and that will determine the next step. Until that is known we can't tell you what area to focus on. You can take your latch out and it will tell if it's the pillar by being in or out on top or bottom. If it's flush it still can be pillar but minor and wrestling can fix it, but more likely that you didn't put your hinges in the same spot. In a nut shell, if it were hinges scooting forward your upper hinge or scooting back your lower hinge will fix that, but best to figure out why first. Is it lifting and feeling loose when you lift it? If so that's bushings.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:16 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

a good way to check pillars is to look right where the hinge ends. You can sometimes see it pushed in. Spot welds in the area will show a very slight distortion. On the front and jamb side of the pillar there can also be distortion. When it's rolled sometimes you can't tell.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing0909 View Post
Hello, i see this post hasn't been active in while but i hope you can help me. My door is sagging badly to the point i can't even close the door. I have replaced the door hinges but it seems like it did not fix the sagging problem. I'm wondering if the socket trick will work before i do it on my door. Thanks
You need to give us MUCH more info.

First off, have you ever owned it with the door not "sagging"?

Post some photos with the door almost closed, before the latch latches and pulls the door up. Post photos taken standing back away from the door so the gap can be seen from the bottom to the top.

We need to see if the door is out at the top front or in at the bottom.

Brian
Old 11-10-2018, 03:27 PM

Always been like this eversince ive owned the vehicle as a second owner. Ive used a jackstand to line it up with the door as i installed the new hinges. Here's some pictures i have, i can provide more if needed. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_103709_1541885144822.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	437657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_103729_1541885166378.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	437659   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_103752_1541885197764.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	437661   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_103756_1541885216786.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	437663   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_103801_1541885234310.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	437665  

Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Always been like this eversince ive owned the vehicle as a second owner. Ive used a jackstand to line it up with the door as i installed the new hinges. Here's some pictures i have, i can provide more if needed. I looked at the hinges they seem fine there is no wiggle or play. Only when the doors are placed they drop back down again. Thank you
Old 11-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,907 Times in 3,432 Posts
It looks like there are washers under the hinge in this pic.

There should not be any washers there. If they were there when you got the car, there has been a repair or an attempt at it. Also, some hinges like that have one bolt that is an alignment cam that would likely require adjustment to align properly on a different car.

My guess is the scenario where when backing up with the door open, it caught on something. The hinges are thick, the door shell and pillar may bend easier. Looks like the pillar is pulled out where the washers are, which would make things worse with washers.My approach if this is the case would be to remove the door and hinges, and with a block of wood and heavy hammer... try to bump the hinge mounting surfaces on pillar and door until flat. That should fix it if my guess is correct, but don't use washers when reassembling. Hinges should have full contact with their mounting surfaces and your top hinge is probably slipping because it isn't. Grab the bottom rear of the door and pull up hard, you might be able to move it enough so you can close it. But that would not fix the problem, just confirm it.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Ill give that a try. I put the washers in because the hinge wasnt lining up with the body. I didnt want to force it when i tighten the bolt.
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in