Been a long time - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 AM
Mark Goulette

Wiki Edits: 0

Been a long time

Well, it's been a long time since I've posted here, and a lot has happened since then....Predator carbs are pretty much gone now, but I do still get some emails from time to time about them. My racing has taken several turns, and my car has changed, gotten faster, and much more powerful. Latest and greatest is making 1510 hp on motor......with that being said, I'm going from gas/nitrous/carbs to alky injection/nitrous... Done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people... Not making the change on a whim, and spent several weeks weeding out bad info, outright bs, and other stuff. Doubt I'll pick up anything on the top end, but I know I'll pick up more off the bottom and through the upper mid range, which is right where I want it. My engine will also run cooler, which is a big issue now........ I've also moved since my last posts, living in Florida now. Still haven't had a chance to tune the car on gas here but will before I switch everything over. Once it is, I'll post those results, make the switch, tune it again, and post those....

There is a TON of misinformation out there about running alcohol in a racing engine, and even more ignorance on the subject. So I figured I'd share my firsthand experience in going from a carb setup to an injected setup, gas to alky, both running nitrous.....I will not be making any nitrous passes on my engine while on gas, as it was set up for high altitude (Denver, Co), and my tuning window here at sea level is simply too narrow to attempt it. I will be spraying while on alcohol though, as my tuning window will open up considerably due to the nature of the fuel. Once I have the results, they will get posted. So until then, continue to enjoy our sport! Here's a few pics of my humble effort:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jCBnwgsHSEuumvElLFhCIA.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	444051   Click image for larger version

Name:	7IqzmwVPRNGbSiKZJMagCQ.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	444053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	444055  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to predator carb guru For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 AM

My cousin, Mark Talliaferro owner of Markco Racing in Odessa Texas, retired from TAD (Top Alcohol Dragster) after the wreck in Washington. He apparently lost an axle and the Dragster cut across the right lane at 160 MPH and hit the wall, barely missing the other Dragster. His Dragster exploded into flames and was split in half. He suffered no injuries. I am sure his family made him quit racing after that.

I am sorry to see that he quit racing but that was a close call. I raced in NHRA, Junior Fuel Dragster in the late 1960s using a 355 CI, Enderle injected, SB Chevrolet powered Dragster using a Woody Gilmore chassis . Best was 7.47 ET at Victoria Texas on the gulf coast. The NHRA Jr. Fuel record was 7.00 ET / 210 mph.

Jr. Fuel is similar to C/FD except for direct port fuel injection, the 355 CI limit and weight limit. Junior Fuel was nitromethane fuel only and no blowers allowed. It was difficult to beat the 352 CI Chrysler hemis.

Last edited by MouseFink; 06-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Thanked 1,453 Times in 1,343 Posts
I have a predator carb from around 1975 Ive never used. Can I get a rebuild kit for it? Does it have any value to anyone now?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Mark Goulette

No kits have been available for those carbs for a long time. Sorry, just a conversation piece now. Not a predator either, should be a kendig. Predator didn't come to be until the mid 80's
Old 06-09-2019, 04:03 PM

says predator on it. First one in Canada. Ill take a picture
Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 AM
Mark Goulette

Regardless, there are no parts available for it unless you get lucky with an internet search. That old of one though, I'd consider it a conversation piece and leave it at that.....

New nitrous kit and fuel system will be here next week......oh yeah........
Old 06-16-2019, 07:28 AM
Mark Goulette

New alky injection parts will be here Thursday, nitrous stuff should be here Monday! Yay!
Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
says predator on it. First one in Canada. Ill take a picture
I guess he ran out of digital film LOL. So far no pics.

FWIW my father had 10,000 shares and myself I had 1,000 shares when somewhere in the 80's I think Volvo got interested in the Predator Carb and that was going along well when some of the local share holders stuck there noses in and somehow got in contact with Volvo and started asking questions and well the deal with Volvo went south.
A little while later in time Predator was sold and the way it was sold DIDN'T give any benefits for all the share holders for any royalties what so ever. It was a one sided deal all share holders up to that time/sale had LOST ALL THERE INVESTMENTS.

PS, nice looking rail

Last edited by mjgord51; 06-23-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM
True Hotrodder

It will be interesting to read the alky information. We are probably short-term users at this point, maybe 7-8 years and I believe we have our program in decent shape but I am always looking for information that might improve it or at least verify we are on the right path.

Have fun, stay safe and good luck with it!
Old 06-28-2019, 11:12 PM

pred carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgord51 View Post
I guess he ran out of digital film LOL. So far no pics.

FWIW my father had 10,000 shares and myself I had 1,000 shares when somewhere in the 80's I think Volvo got interested in the Predator Carb and that was going along well when some of the local share holders stuck there noses in and somehow got in contact with Volvo and started asking questions and well the deal with Volvo went south.
A little while later in time Predator was sold and the way it was sold DIDN'T give any benefits for all the share holders for any royalties what so ever. It was a one sided deal all share holders up to that time/sale had LOST ALL THERE INVESTMENTS.

PS, nice looking rail
Yes I was rushed to Burnaby general hospital for emergency surgery.
Finally home and get to plan 2 more surgeries,,, hope The same situation does not happen again. I cannot afford to die, owe too much.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Yes I was rushed to Burnaby general hospital for emergency surgery.
Finally home and get to plan 2 more surgeries,,, hope The same situation does not happen again. I cannot afford to die, owe too much.
Sorry to here of your health problems, hope you get well soon. Pics aren't a priority--- your health is though.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:05 AM
Mark Goulette

Well, I finally got an opportunity to run the car one last time on gas....Didn't go well.... Car wanted a lot more fuel so I gave it fuel...kept picking up, but had a BAD surging issue going down track. That kills et in a hurry, and well as mph. I ran out of time to make runs before the track closed, and the heat was taking it's toll. I'm going to get a cool vest for sure now, I just can't deal with the heat and humidity when I'm strapped in the car. I think I know what may have been causing the surging, and I'm going to check it today to see if I'm right, but I won't be running the car on gas again. I just want to know why it was surging. Anyway, I managed a 7.40 @ 181 mph, but that's pretty slow for this car and my setup. I made one jet change and it picked up just short of .4, and a fuel pressure change that helped with another .1. Should have easily ran into the 7.0xx's, or 6.9xx's, but the surging killed that.

Next step starts today, I'm beginning the installation of the new alky injection system! I'm hoping to have it done and ready by the next open test day. Weather should be substantially cooler as well and that will help.

Also got an invite from a racing club there to join them for the big show, as they are short on cars and mine would make a nice addition! Sounds like a fun deal so once I get it tuned up on alky, I think I'm going to play a bit!
Old 09-28-2019, 07:35 AM
Mark Goulette

Progress! I did investigate what was causing my surging, and it turned out to be a fuel pressure issue...Learned a lesson here, won't make the same mistake again....set fuel pressure with my flow tool that I use to set my nitrous fuel regulator with.....turns out it was WAY low.....and I have spring loaded floats....so the incoming fuel didn't have enough pressure to overcome the springs and open the needle valve....now that I've figured that out, carbs are off, intake is getting extra bungs welded on it, tank is on the way to Mike Bos to get a new one made with more capacity, and I'm working on where/how I'm going to mount the fuel pump......fun stuff!!! All needs to be done before Oct 20 which is the next test session!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in