Behind the dash brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Behind the dash brakes

Anyone make your own brackets to go 90 or 180 behind the dash from scratch?

Looking for linkage setups, pedal designs, venting, and resivior ideas for clutch and brakes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 PM

If you want 90 degree linkage,try to find a dodge van from the 70's,they had 90 degree linkage.

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to dusterdude3404 For This Useful Post:
cerial (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 AM

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...bly,60736.html

Click above and buy one of these. Or if you're an engineer and can get all the moment arms the right length and in perfect alignment with no binding the first time and you're a first class welder, make one. If not buy one and save your and your passengers lives. There's still going to be some fabrication to mount the 90 degree unit in your car. Make sure it's solid and comfortable to use. Do it right the first time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to '48 Austin For This Useful Post:
cerial (03-25-2019), kbuhagiar (04-01-2019)

Old 03-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '48 Austin View Post
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...bly,60736.html

Click above and buy one of these. Or if you're an engineer and can get all the moment arms the right length and in perfect alignment with no binding the first time and you're a first class welder, make one. If not buy one and save your and your passengers lives. There's still going to be some fabrication to mount the 90 degree unit in your car. Make sure it's solid and comfortable to use. Do it right the first time.
Yes thats how most of them do it. Basically looking at doing that in cooper going 90 with a rod going to the passenger side. Clutch is just going to be a 7/1 with a cable going to clutch pulling the fork back.

I have a 02 hydroboost with pedal(i took a saw zaw to the firewall and pulled it as a unit) so I have the pedal to maintain the proper ratio from there it is just a 1/1 bellcrank and securely mounting the hydroboost.

I am going to have most of the dash and mechanisms (brakes,shifters, etc) exposed so was looking for people that may have went that route making the exposed items look nice.

But yes just using the bellcrank/pedal mounts with 1" bolt and some 1/4" copper brackets will probally look good enough once polished.

Only thing left on the firewall will be the wiper motor which I am alright just covering.

Last edited by cerial; 03-24-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 PM

You might look here Reverse 90 Under Dash : Kugel Komponents, Quality Komponents Since 1969 they also have a 180 degree setup that looks pretty clean.
The Following User Says Thank You to enjenjo For This Useful Post:
cerial (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 06:16 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

i mounted the hydroboost under the floor in my 58 truk
kept the firewall clean and spotless
The Following User Says Thank You to ogre For This Useful Post:
cerial (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo View Post
You might look here Reverse 90 Under Dash : Kugel Komponents, Quality Komponents Since 1969 they also have a 180 degree setup that looks pretty clean.
Yes been drooling over there stuff for years. This build is a collection of things I wanted to do. But just caved on and went the traditional route with other rides.

Cut that 90 with 180 clutch in half and you have what I am building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
i mounted the hydroboost under the floor in my 58 truk
kept the firewall clean and spotless
Building a entire floor and most of the firewall on this enforcing what little rusted shell I have to work with before removing the dash. I will have a removable center section(think van) and non adjustable bucket seats which are part of the floor.

The floor will go back to a flat style (another reason for removing the saddle tanks) and I am going to run "boat" style seats where the seat bottom can be pulled up for two 10" high x24x24 under seat storage areas.

The 2 batteries are going behind the drivers side of the cab next to and above the bottom of the frame rail on the outside. I did flirt with mounting the Master on the inside of that frame rail. This does keep the pedals stupid simple and dash/firewall ultra clean.

Only downside of this is that is that this is not a show truck. I want a flat belly with this and to slap that belly/bottom of the frame against logs etc with some light mud.

That being said we are talking about a skid plate there and the more I think about it I could easily mount a remote resivior in front of the batteries tight to the back of the cab for easy filling.

The more I think about through the floor pedals the more I like it. Running fender well exhaust so I could run the hydro boost/brake lines right up the inside of the frame rail without issue and the clutch pedal becomes much simpler also.

Through the floor pedals sounds like it wins on many occasions. Cleaner firewall, dash, less linkage, and puts everything outside. Only downside is that it is outside and will be coated in mud, snow, ice but it is a sealed system so it should be fine. Will look at popping that reservoir off the master and mounting it against the cab above the batteries with a leather cover for easier filling and keeping it from possibly being submerged.

Going with through the floor pedals. Thought they would be more complicated then they are. But the more I look at them it makes tons more sense.

Thank you.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:25 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

i used a 03 mustang hydroboost/mc with stock 58 chevy truck pedal
i ran a couple years with the reservoir underfloor, added the remote reservoir after i broke a banjo fitting
remote reservoir is off a first gen nissan quest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	441703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	441705  
Old 03-30-2019, 08:19 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake

Here's mine. Brake and clutch. Home made and made so I can adjust pedal ratio and pedal resting-position
Driven with it from 2013. works fine.
Some of the material thickness is probably a bit overkill, but better safe than sorry, and it is very sturdy.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
i used a 03 mustang hydroboost/mc with stock 58 chevy truck pedal
i ran a couple years with the reservoir underfloor, added the remote reservoir after i broke a banjo fitting
remote xxgb is off a first gen nissa "c n quest
That is what I am fitting parts for currently behind the cab. Simple and puts the thing in a easy to fill area.

Looks great.

I hate banjo fittings. They rely upon perfect machined surfaces and often that is not the case.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Awesome setup. Going to borrow your adjustable pedal idea.

You can never go overkill with brakes or steering.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
staleg (04-24-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

You know you can just buy these from Wilwood, right? $100 from Summit, Speedway, etc.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in