Best & Easiest Air Bags Susp For 66 Chev truck - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 04:43 PM

Last journal entry: finished
Wiki Edits: 0

budthespud,
ask as many questions as you want, that's the best way to learn, and it'll save you money and frustration probably, i know i would have spent a ton less money if i asked a whole bunch of questions before i bought my stuff. I bought all air ride tech stuff for the same reason as you, i heard great stuff about them, and everything i heard was right, they sell very high quality components. however, you can piece together your own kit with just as high quality stuff, for much cheaper. For example, check out suicidedoors.com, i'll piece together what i'd get if i was ordering a new air management system and wanted to spend the 1000 that i'd spend on the big red... you can get an 8 pack of 1/2" SMC valves ($350), viair 450 (200), 12 gallon tank ($80), 50 ft 1/2" airline ($30), 2 gages ($60), and all the fittings you'd need (probably around $100-$200), which comes out to $920 using the 200 for fittings. And i think if you tell them you want a whole air management kit, you can custom make it and they'll give you a deal. This would give you fbss control, with 12 gallons of air (way more play time than 5 gal), and would be way faster. Also, at suicidedoors you can get firestone bags like you'd get from ART, and they're around 70 bucks each, and then just get the brackets you'd need, they have 67 chevy fullsize truck brackets for 70 bucks too. Sorry about the long post, just showing you the stuff you'd need, that you could get somewhere else and spend the same amount of money but have a much better system. Check out the air suspension part of the layitlow.com forum, there's a lot of jerks there, but also a lot of guys that know their stuff and are glad to help out with any air ride question you'll have. good luck man

frank

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 04:45 PM

sorry, just reread the posts, and it says your truck is a 66, not 67, sorry! in that case, i'm sure air ride tech would tell you which brackets they use in their kits and you could buy them seperately if you decided to build your own kit.

frank
Old 11-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

I'm New to This

Thanks for all the info Frank!! It's been a bit of an eye opener since I'm totally new to this kind of suspension system. I've been reading up on it and watched a show where they were installing a system but due to time on TV they don't give all the nessessary info in that time frame. Can I keep contact with you down the road when I start to purchase/install this system? Well keep up the great work in keeping us old dudes informed. Thanks buddy!!!!

Old 11-06-2005, 06:08 PM

I am brand new also on airbags

I hope I get this in the right area to reply, anyway I felt ashamed to ask but here goes, I have 88 chevy p/u 1/2 ton that was bagged, I bought it 2 days (Nov. 4th) a go and love the look but it is slow as syrup up or down... the rear does not rise too high, I looked under the truck until I found the compressor, it looks kinda small and there is a small tank right next to it, it has two switches on the dash up and down s l o w... that is about all I know except the front leaks down over night both sides, I have no idea what the brand is but doing some research the bags look like those that are listed as "best", I seen the post of the line size being too small I suppose that is my problem but could the compressor also be too small? I want it to raise much faster if I can do it, I am 62 and still love these old rods or this custom one is a better choice of words on the 88, I have a 1929 ford 2 door sedan and that is a old rod.

I found this truck and traded my 55 chevy that was not finished because I just don't see that much time left or money left so I traded for a nice looking 88 chevy pick up with bags as I had always wanted after they first came out, ok I have talked way too much (age thingie), any suggestions on which way to go or start on this? I live in a small town and I don't see many bagged anything here so I can't ask anyone here, thanks a bunch..Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedfordbronco
hey spud,
i have air ride suspension on my 64 fairlane, and i used the air ride technologies kit. All the stuff they sell is high quality, but you'll pay for it that's for sure. The only thing i have left in my system that i got from air ride tech is the bags and brackets and shocks, i replaced all the fittings, lines, valves and tanks since the kit i got was too slow for me (i got the system with 1/4 inch lines and manual valves). I'd say that if you want the car to lift with a decent speed, not the 25 or 30 seconds it took my car to lift with the air ride tech stuff, just buy the components individually from a place like suicidedoors.com. You'll save money and have a fast, but still high quality, air ride suspension. If you don't mind a slower lift and drop, the air ride tech stuff is top quality. If you do decide to get everything individually and you have any questions about what you'll need, let me know and i'll be glad to help. good luck, and be sure to post pics when you get it loowww

Frank

Old 11-06-2005, 06:59 PM

Hey stew,
my bet would be that it's a combination of small air lines, valves, and tank size. The compressor size doesn't really determine the speed of the bags, since it just stores the compressed air in the tank for when you want to use it, then when you hit a valve the air comes out of the tank and into the bags. Are your valves manual valves? Like, do they look like the valves from ART, and they're kind of like a paddle that you push up or down and it releases air into the cab of the truck? if so, that could be your problem right there. I started out with manual valves on my fairlane from ART and when i took them apart the hole that the air flowed through was less than 1/8" diameter, so barely any air flowed through! if you wanted to get your truck faster, the way to go would be bigger, electric valves, and bigger line. Also, when you get the truck moving faster you also will eventually want more air storage, i had 4 gallons in my fairlane, which was fine for manual valves and 1/4" line, since it lifted so slow the compressor would fill it at the same time. but with bigger lines you'll want to lift it and lower it more often, so it'll empty out the tanks pretty quick then you're stuck if you only have a small tank. That's where the small compressor would hurt you, it won't fill the tanks up fast, and it might not even be able to handle a bigger size tank. Since you already have an air ride setup installed, it won't be too hard or expensive to upgrade to bigger lines, valves, and tanks. oh yeah, and if you have them, post up some pictures of the truck, those chevy's look great slammed!

frank
Old 11-07-2005, 05:28 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Just Thinking??

Frank I have one question? Up here in Ontario we can purchase what we call Air Pigs. They are 20 gallon tanks that you can carry for filling tires (you must have seen them) I was thinking of modifying this tank for air storage? My Truck is a long box step side and I was going to put the tank and all the compressors (2) etc... in the box right up front by the cab. It will be in a specially designed Stainless Steel box that I'm fabbing which will also house the dual batteries that I'm going to install too. Should be alright eh? It would make ease of maintenance and repair for the system. This also benefits me for a power source.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 AM

Bud, what your saying would work kind of. There is not enought ports on a "pig" to plumb your system properly, you will end up spending more money on fittings and T's and your system will look like hell

I fix a lot of air ride in Ontario and if you have any questions feel free to call me. I even still have this tank if you really want it. But Ill give you advise to do it right. 1.866.*!

Last edited by Jon; 11-27-2005 at 05:04 PM. Reason: advertising
Old 11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
See project in Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by budthespud
I was just looking at your pics and things seem to be going good eh? ... I hope you don't mind if I contact you once in a while to see how you are making out? It probably won't be till next year before I'll be able to purchase a kit. Thanks for the info and good luck with your truck!!!
Bud, yea I am pleased with my progress, not cutting any corners and everything is new or refurbished. Should have finished chassis in about two weeks. I will be adding more pictures today. Yesterday I got the front suspension installation to the point where I could install my old wheels and manually add air to make the front go up and down . Feel free to contact me with any questions, this is my first air ride installation, but by the time you get to yours, mine should be on the road and fully troubleshooted.

I agree with FlamedFB too, you can put a kit together yourself, and between now and when you purchase your parts you could educate yourself enough to do that. I purchased the ART Big Red valves for speed and the RideProE kit with the key fob switch, so I will be able to play with the bags from outside the truck, which I am way psyched to do. Course my more traditional truck friends [4x4 guys] think I am nuts, but I know the look I want.

BTW, if anyone is wondering "fbss" means "Front Back Side Side" air bag control, also called 4 way. The cheaper option would be front/back only or 2 way.

Bag it, and drag it!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:27 PM

bud,
simplicity is right, i think it'd be better to go with like a 12 gallon tank with enough ports that you can have one for each valve instead of a 20 gallon tank with only one port for the valves. 20 gallons would give you more air to be able to hit switches with, but if you wanted to get a little crazy you could go with an engine driven compressor, or even nitrogen for a huge supply of air. And engine driven compressor (EDC) is something like a york or sandan air condition compressor, converted to pump air. the york 210 pumps something crazy like 10 cubic feet/min of air, which whoops any electric compressor, and it's really quiet. It's more work to install though, and more money to buy the stuff you'd need to install it. The stainless box sounds like a good idea too, to keep your system clean and dry if you don't have a bedcover.
bigsky, "bag it and drag it".... i like the way you think be sure to post pics of the c-10 when you get progress.

frank
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Well if I don't Ask...

Well I'm glad I asked that question of the tank. I was only thinking of air storage. Frank I will be using a cover over the bed for sure it's something I'm designing to open and close automatically. I don't think I'll go with the motor driven compressor or the nitrogen, I have to keep it simple for this old guy. When I finally get the time I will get some pics posted. I just ground all the rivets off the bottom of the frame today and welded them for a smooth look. I figure I'll have at least 100hrs just on the frame work by the time it's done. Thanks guys!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 PM
See project in Photo Album

Bud, I checked out your gallery photos, nice looking work.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Thanks Bigsky!!

Yea she'll be a big project over the winter and it will keep me busy that's for sure. Took some more pics today on the work that I got done. Just got to load them into the laptop. I'm doing all the rough work and assembly right now. I sure liked what I seen in your Gallery so keep posting pics and I'll do the same.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:23 PM

hey Frank

I just got this dad blamed computer back up and running about 30 minutes ago and this is Tuesday, that is why I have not replied quicker, anyway yes it has 2 valves in the dash front/rear valves, yes air comes out into the cab and slow..I have no idea but I would guess the tank is about 3 or 4 gallon, the compressor I have no idea it just looks so small, I think you are 100% correct on this and if I had just a bit of knowldge in where to start on which end to begin on etc. I would give this scooter a run for the money, I traded a decent old 55 chevy with a rebuilt 327, the 55 was in primer and about 5 grand way from being complete so I said what the hey, I have always wanted a bagged something and when I seen this truck I just had to have it,,,, by the way it is puke green but ok because it is a lighter green from the 1999-2003 VW family, anyway I will take pictures and get some close ups of what I have then maybe you can tell me which way to go or what to buy to get it right, I appricate your kindness on this Frank, this is a brand new thing for me and it does bother me to ask or bother folks, if I get a few pictures where or how do I add them to this site so you can see them? Thanks Frank a lot...Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedfordbronco
Hey stew,
my bet would be that it's a combination of small air lines, valves, and tank size. The compressor size doesn't really determine the speed of the bags, since it just stores the compressed air in the tank for when you want to use it, then when you hit a valve the air comes out of the tank and into the bags. Are your valves manual valves? Like, do they look like the valves from ART, and they're kind of like a paddle that you push up or down and it releases air into the cab of the truck? if so, that could be your problem right there. I started out with manual valves on my fairlane from ART and when i took them apart the hole that the air flowed through was less than 1/8" diameter, so barely any air flowed through! if you wanted to get your truck faster, the way to go would be bigger, electric valves, and bigger line. Also, when you get the truck moving faster you also will eventually want more air storage, i had 4 gallons in my fairlane, which was fine for manual valves and 1/4" line, since it lifted so slow the compressor would fill it at the same time. but with bigger lines you'll want to lift it and lower it more often, so it'll empty out the tanks pretty quick then you're stuck if you only have a small tank. That's where the small compressor would hurt you, it won't fill the tanks up fast, and it might not even be able to handle a bigger size tank. Since you already have an air ride setup installed, it won't be too hard or expensive to upgrade to bigger lines, valves, and tanks. oh yeah, and if you have them, post up some pictures of the truck, those chevy's look great slammed!

frank
Old 11-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Get Snapping!!!

Hey Stew get those pics because I would like to see what ya got buddy. I'm new to this too and I would really like to see what's right and what's wrong with the installation process. Things to look for and not to buy or do. Well I hope Frank can help you out or he may know someone that can, it's a good shot. Looking forward to it!!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 AM

I have thousands of pictures! What is it your most interested in?
Here is a 77 Lincoln Mark 5 I finished Yesterday.

Im working on a S10 today, not that exciting for you guys.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in