Best & Easiest Air Bags Susp For 66 Chev truck - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I gotter done....picture wise

I took these pictures last night while a friend was over "with his camera", I will take more when I get a camera sometime this week. Spud I understand the not having any idea where you are or where to go on this and that is one reason I took some pictures of what I could see of the system last night, Frank has already opened my eyes to what my problem is and I do thank him for that, there is a lot of nice folks in here so I just hope I can be a positive asset to the club as the rest are in here, thanks Spud for the note..Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by budthespud
Hey Stew get those pics because I would like to see what ya got buddy. I'm new to this too and I would really like to see what's right and what's wrong with the installation process. Things to look for and not to buy or do. Well I hope Frank can help you out or he may know someone that can, it's a good shot. Looking forward to it!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Nice Stuff Guys

Simplicity I sure like the system setup in the Lincoln. Nice, clean and neat. Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Stew truck looks good and LOW!!! Well this has been an education so far and I'm looking forward to starting this but I have a major bunch of farication to do before I get to this part. Thanks Frank, Stew and Simplicity it's been a great reading the responses from you guys!!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:12 AM

Stew

STEW - nice lookin truck, your compressor is a THOMAS 315 or 317 model old reliable but rather slow, tank looks lika 3 gallon and your bags look like firestone look for the firestone logo on the upper bellow also very reliable. i believe your pressure switch (that green thingy on tank) is a fixed 110 on 145 off? i had the exact same setup to start, except i had chassis crap 3 position valves. but to lift my front i had to lift then wait on compressor to fill back up and lift again, upgrading your tank to a 6 gal will help alot and better electronic valves i prefer smc or parker diaphragm valves. but you MUST use a filter drier between tank and valves,, i dont see one thats probably whats causing your leak down, moisture and dust turns into gummy funk in your valves. after you get new valves and a larger tank if you still dont think its fast enough get a viar compressor and an adjustable pressure switch youll also need a solenoid and circuit braker for a tougher compressor, without the circuit braker/soleniod(like ford starter solenoid but 100 duty) the compressor will fry the pressure switch.. if you want more rear lift move the bag mounts onto the bars about in the middle that will increase lift at the axle by about 3", to 9" total rear lift instead of what your getting now. over axle setups usually get you 6" GOOD LUCK

Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 AM

You just helped me so much Oklowride and I do thank you..I understand most of this I think, when you say "valves", how many are there and are they on top of the bags?
Again just to know what set up I have makes me very happy, I really like the truck but as I said the slow up and down is embarrassing to say the least, again thanks so much..Stew

[

QUOTE=oklowride]STEW - nice lookin truck, your compressor is a THOMAS 315 or 317 model old reliable but rather slow, tank looks lika 3 gallon and your bags look like firestone look for the firestone logo on the upper bellow also very reliable. i believe your pressure switch (that green thingy on tank) is a fixed 110 on 145 off? i had the exact same setup to start, except i had chassis crap 3 position valves. but to lift my front i had to lift then wait on compressor to fill back up and lift again, upgrading your tank to a 6 gal will help alot and better electronic valves i prefer smc or parker diaphragm valves. but you MUST use a filter drier between tank and valves,, i dont see one thats probably whats causing your leak down, moisture and dust turns into gummy funk in your valves. after you get new valves and a larger tank if you still dont think its fast enough get a viar compressor and an adjustable pressure switch youll also need a solenoid and circuit braker for a tougher compressor, without the circuit braker/soleniod(like ford starter solenoid but 100 duty) the compressor will fry the pressure switch.. if you want more rear lift move the bag mounts onto the bars about in the middle that will increase lift at the axle by about 3", to 9" total rear lift instead of what your getting now. over axle setups usually get you 6" GOOD LUCK[/QUOTE]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:56 AM

air bag suspension

Im really glad to see a good discussion on this topic. I can remember not to long ago a person would have been lucky to get a response from this question. The air ride systems are getting more popular.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:04 AM

Bud, I see your in Ontario. Where are you? We are located in Toronto.
and have a full Air Suspension shop. If your close by I could show you a few things.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

I'm an 1 1/2 hrs away

I live in Baltimore north of Cobourg. So I would be at least 1 1/2 hrs from Toronto. Why don't give me your company name at least and I could call you or something like that. I would appreciate it immensly Simplicity if you would give me a bit of your time and show me a bit. I'll be in Whitby on tuesday next week. Let me know. Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 12:46 AM

"HOWDY ALL YALL" im makin fun of oklahomans im not one. whats with all the canadians? in usa they say canadians say "EH": how you doin EH, nice truck EH, that girls got a nice AS* EH, atleast your president isnt a $$ hungry oil freak lokin for "weapons of mass destruction"
hold on the CIA is at my door, LOL
I bought some bag brackets from BRISLANDS custom canada because my chassis crap ones sucked. they were perfect. every one sells brackets but only they asked what size wheel/tire i was running. go canada
Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 AM

STEW-- if you look at that label on the compressor it will tell you what model 315 or 317,, 317 is better. you said your valves have a paddle switch that lets air into the cab? right, so its gotta be manual junk valves. you can mount your valves on the tank if you like or ontop of the bags. the closer to the bags means faster up n downs. when i talked about a better compressor/pressure switch makin u faster i mean by upping the pressure. that tomas can fill up to 200 PSI on a good day but not recommended and it wont last. a compressor that is rated for 200 (viar has one) will get you movin. i noticed a hugh difference from 145 psi to 185 psi in my truck. much faster!!
if you use diaphragm valves you will need 2 per axle for F/B(front back) or 4 per axle for FBSS(front back side 2 side) there are decent 3 position valves but diaphragm valves rock, and the squack noise they make will get the attention of any numb skull on the street. a viar compressor has a much quicker recovery time(refilling tank) than your thomas. you may want that if you cruise, you dont want to be cruizin by some hot young ladies ready to flash their jugs and have no air in your tank! who wants to wait 5 minutes before they can hit another switch?!?! ladies love sparks..........
Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 AM

[email protected]#$% lives in oklahoma born in cali.. hey any youins wanna go cow tippin over yonder this morn?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Us Canadians??

Well lord tunder jesus boy we Canadians are resourceful to say the least. We have a Prime minister that likes to piss away the tax payers cash and get rich off us. All members of office are crooks if ya ask me. Well to get back on topic thanks for the cow tipp'in offer but we have enough cows up here to satisfy the need. Thanks anyway lol!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budthespud
I live in Baltimore north of Cobourg. So I would be at least 1 1/2 hrs from Toronto. Why don't give me your company name at least and I could call you or something like that. I would appreciate it immensly Simplicity if you would give me a bit of your time and show me a bit. I'll be in Whitby on tuesday next week. Let me know. Thanks
www.*.com
or toll free
1 866 *

Last edited by Jon; 11-27-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: advertising
Old 11-11-2005, 08:06 AM

Here is one of my favorites from this summer!

Everything was very clean, neat and easy to work on!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:46 AM

Last journal entry: finished

simplicity, that buick is CLEAN, i have a 66 wildcat convertible i'm working on right now and putting a crazy air suspension system in, i love those old buicks slammed.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedfordbronco
simplicity, that buick is CLEAN, i have a 66 wildcat convertible i'm working on right now and putting a crazy air suspension system in, i love those old buicks slammed.
I love the old Buicks! You like this one?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in