Best Front End Alignment Tool for the Home Mechanic? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best Front End Alignment Tool for the Home Mechanic?

When it comes to my vehicles, I do all of the maintenance and service on them….except alignments. I’ve done simple toe adjustments before on vehicles with solid front axles by setting up lines on each side and lots of measuring, but when it comes to vehicles with top and bottom a-arms where you are adjusting toe/camber/caster all at the same time, I just don’t have the equipment to do it right.

I’m at the point where I would like to invest some money in some good equipment that will let me set camber and caster pretty easily. Setting toe is the easy part.

Most of the jigs/tools I’ve seen out there only fit up to an 18” wheel….but my truck has 20” wheels on it, my wife’s Touareg has 19” wheels….so whatever I get, it needs to fit those wheel sizes.

Maybe something like this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 PM

That looks pretty good, im interested too....what brand is that in the pic

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 05:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Fancy....But would a large carpenter's square and a level not do the same thing?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Fancy....But would a large carpenter's square and a level not do the same thing?
Not for a one man operation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,056 Times in 4,123 Posts
For a disc brake car I have heard people talk about sticking a magnetic angle finder on the rotor. That would work reasonably well for camber but castor would take a little more thought.

There are bunches of inexpensive bubble tools on Ebay. I would love to watch a really good video on using one.

John
Old 12-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Without proper turntables under the tires that setup will have to come off and on again after every adjustment so you can roll the car back and forth a few times. I used a cheap (around $19) tool to do the castor, a plain level cut to the length of the wheel to do the camber, and I am getting or making toe plates ... for the toe.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 AM

Last journal entry: Project change

Recently saw a set of turntables in the Fayetteville Ar. craigslist.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Two sheets of tiles, plastic, steel, aluminum, etc with grease between them work just fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnsongrass1 For This Useful Post:
55 Tony (12-18-2018), Tim C (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1 View Post
Two sheets of tiles, plastic, steel, aluminum, etc with grease between them work just fine.
Yep. I went to Lowe's and bought 4 sheets of acrylic plastic 1/8” thick 8 x 8 inches square. Put grease or Vaseline between two each and roll the car onto them. I made some ramps from stacked 2x12s so I can get under the car for adjustment and left the ramps long enough that I can still roll it onto the plastic turn plates.

I cut a level too to fit against the wheel and a digital angle finder for camber. Caster uses the same tool but needs two people. Turn wheels, not steering wheel it's more like 3/4 turn, 20 degrees, zero camber/angle gauge, turn opposite direction past straight the same amount measure on gauge plus a little math equals caster (I can't remember the math equation right now). Repeat on both sides to get castor on each side.

For toe I bought two identical brand tape measures and compared the reading in the store. Plus a couple of pieces of aluminum angle. Got the aluminum angle blocked up high enough to get over the tire bulge and cut slots to pass the tape through.

I've got less than $150 in everything including the 2x12 ramps and I verified it with the computer alignment machine at work one day it was really close. I built my own stuff because it is hard to put my lowered Fairlane on the machine at work, the hunter machine needs to clamp to the tire tread to hold the sensors, and with the Fairlanes built in rear fender skirts and the front tires filling up the wheel well opening it interferes with the sensors clamps.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1 View Post

I suppose you are correct. For some reason I always thought of the two sheets of whatever only good for turning, but I guess if you turn them before/after caster/camber adjustments the wheels will move in/out/front/back at the same time.

Didn't see it mentioned but of course make sure the whole car is level, left to right anyway. Mine took an extra 3 tiles on the left side front, rear was OK.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in