Best oil additive to use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best oil additive to use?

So my 383 Stoker is using a quart of oil in 500 miles. It doesn't smoke and runs well. No leaks. I use Quaker State 10/40 which is recommended by Smeding who built the engine. Is there an additive that can help? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 06:40 PM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexel1234 View Post
So my 383 Stoker is using a quart of oil in 500 miles. It doesn't smoke and runs well. No leaks. I use Quaker State 10/40 which is recommended by Smeding who built the engine. Is there an additive that can help? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

THANKS!
How many miles on it as is it broken in yet?

To that could be added how is it drven, hard, medium, soft? No wrong answer, information for technical reasons only.

Bogie
Old 07-06-2019, 07:23 PM

If your burning oil there is a reason. A compression test would be a good way to check the rings followed by inspecting the valve seals

The best thing you can do for a engine is to change the oil frequently. I live by 3000 mile changes pouring 1/2 quart in letting it drain the oil out before pulling the filter and throwing in the recommended amount. When I pop a valve cover or drop a pan it shows.

Synthetic oil is better but it can leak past seals easier. Going conventional or mixing in a quart with synthetic at the same weight sometimes helps with seal leaks.

Degrease your engine and keep it pretty to spot leaks easy. Many of my blocks are silver, or a bright color with black headers, and flat aluminum pan/covers. This lets you trace oil leaks fast and easily.

If your burning oil using typical push in breathes use a pcv system with a catch can. A simple can with one input lower hose then the output(suction) upper hose is good enough to work. The amount that you catch may surprise you.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
Rexel1234 (07-08-2019)

Old 07-06-2019, 08:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,138 Times in 2,633 Posts
Most common thing we ask when this question comes up is: "What does your PCV valve, valvecover breather, and valvecover breather hole baffle situation consist of"..

Reason being, your oil consumption rate falls right into a window of that a PCV valve will pass if it is in a cover with inadequate baffles.

You've also got the possibility of oil being pulled into intake ports from underside of intake, from the lifter valley. This can be common if the right intake gasket type wasn't used.

An oil additive is not the first place to be looking, that's for sure. Most are just snake oil.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
55 Tony (07-07-2019), LATECH (07-07-2019), Rexel1234 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Was the correct finish put on the cylinder walls? Using that much oil in 500 miles without finding an oil leak leads me to believe that could be the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to MouseFink For This Useful Post:
Rexel1234 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM

i tried to send you photos of the valvecover breather, and valvecover breather hole baffle. Dont know how to on this site. Can i email to you. I hoping you can take a look and give me your thoughts. My email is [email protected].

THANKS!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in