Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best quality hand tools? Are Snap On, Mac, Matco worth the extra $$?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Best quality hand tools? Are Snap On, Mac, Matco worth the extra $$?

When I went to buy my 1st ratchet set, I made the mistake when I was 16 of buying a cheap Taiwan made set. It was crap from the beginning.

Then in 1985, when I was 17, a Mac tools guy would stop by the High stall torque converter manufacturer I worked at while in High School. In his van I saw a 1/2 inch ratchet I liked and I bought it for like $47. It was standard length. Then I also needed sockets, so he showed me a basic set of like 9 shallow chrome sockets(SAE) in a metal tray for like $60! But he had a black 9pc set of shallow impact sockets for $45 in a metal tray, and he said they would work just fine with the ratchet, so I bought them too.

So I spent $92 for just a standard ratchet and 9 sockets back in 1985, and that was expensive even by today's standards! They probably are a lot more expensive now.... They are guaranteed for life.

But the only other decent quality tool manufacturer that made a large line of all different types of hand tools was Craftsman. Stanley didnt make a full line of wrenches and sockets then. Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life, but I thought they just weren't as good as Mac tools though.

But today, there are many newer brands of good quality American tools that only cost a fraction of what Snap On, Mac, and Matco cost, and they are guaranteed for life too.

I've met many people who have owned tools made by these other, cheaper, but good quality tool brands, and they swear by them..... I've got LOTS of tools made by Craftsman, Kobalt, Gear Wrench, etc., and have not had any problems with them in any way.

So are the much more expensive tools made by Snap-On, Matco and Mac REALLY any better quality?

Are there any other advantages to buying these more expensive tools from Snap-On, etc?

What do you use?