Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Best quality hand tools? Are Snap On, Mac, Matco worth the extra $$?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Wiki Edits: 0

My first complete set of tools were SK Wayne. It came with a top box, 3 ratchets, 1/4",3/8". and 1/2" and all the sockets to go with them thru 1 1/4", along with a set of screw drivers, a couple of ball peen hammers, a set of chisels, and end wrenches from 1/4" thru 3/4". I later bought a set of Thorson end wrenches from 3/4" thru 1 1/4". That was in 1969 and the only thing I've ever broken out of the set was the 3/8" ratchet. But that's because it was abused a lot! They have held up all these years in industrial maintenance and general shade tree mechanic work and I still have most of the set today, except for a few pieces that were misplaced or left in someone else's tool box.
I also have a lot of Craftsman tools that were bought mostly in pawn shops and flea markets. I have had good luck with most of them except their ratchets which in my opinion rank right up there in quality with Harbor Freight tools.