Best riding suspension for 1927 Ford Roadster - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
front shocks look really short, disconnect them and go for a ride
you may bounce all over but it will probably tell you the shocks are bottoming out
Thanks, Ogre. It looks like most of you think the front shocks are too short and possible at a wrong angle. I'm going to fix this and lower the PSI in the tires again. By the way, nice truck !

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
Your spring shackles are at the wrong angle.
Yours are almost vertical when they should be at a 45 degree angle.
Strange type of coil overs on the back.
Thanks, RWENUTS. You and the rest of the guys believe the front shocks are the problem Im going to look at these, the angle and the length and attempt to fix them. I really think I should think about raising the whole car. Its too low and I think that limits the suspension.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 PM

If you're worried about scrub line, pull a string from the bottom of the front wheel rim to the opposite rear wheel rim and see if any suspension components hit the string. This will tell you if you would be in trouble if you got multiple flats.
In my opinion, these small light cars don't ride worth a darn. I've got a dropped axle car with the correct shackle angles (not binding) and the shocks are not bottoming out and the front is sorted out pretty well, it rides great on the freeway, but once you hit the crappy back roads, the ride can be quite harsh. As far as the rear, Ive got the longest lightest coilover springs that will do the job. The rear rides pretty nice considering it's a big tire car, I pretty much sit right over the rear axle. So, in my experience, they ride a bit on the harsh unless on a nice smooth paved road. Just my two cents...

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to blwn31 For This Useful Post:
bubbamace (09-19-2018)

Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 PM

Ive had a few buckets over the years, and one in particular handled like a pig on ice skates. Eventually sold it and new owner also hated the ride. Car had the "best of everything" in the front end and I figured it should have ridden pretty well.

A couple of owners later, I caught up with the car again. New owner said it was brutal on bumpy roads so he took it to a dirt track speedway guy to see if it could get sorted. Speedway guy took it for a vigourous drive and came back, removed the front spring and deleted a couple of leaves and fitted it back up again.

He reckons it rides like its on rails now. I didnt travel in it so cant personally verify the result, but it might be worth looking at.

And regarding the front shocks, instead of changing to taller mounts, you may be able to find shorter shocks to avoid bottoming out. We attached cable ties to the shaft of the shocks on one bucket and took it for a drive to see how much work the shock was doing and to see if it was bottoming out. Its a simple way to check for movement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Rod Todd For This Useful Post:
bubbamace (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamace View Post
Thanks, RWENUTS. You and the rest of the guys believe the front shocks are the problem Im going to look at these, the angle and the length and attempt to fix them. I really think I should think about raising the whole car. Its too low and I think that limits the suspension.
I donít know about your shocks but your shackle angle is the problem. When the spring compresses it gets longer and the shackles bind up solid. Shackles are supposed to be at 45 degrees so they donít bind when they flex closer to vertical.
The Following User Says Thank You to RWENUTS For This Useful Post:
bubbamace (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwn31 View Post
If you're worried about scrub line, pull a string from the bottom of the front wheel rim to the opposite rear wheel rim and see if any suspension components hit the string. This will tell you if you would be in trouble if you got multiple flats.
In my opinion, these small light cars don't ride worth a darn. I've got a dropped axle car with the correct shackle angles (not binding) and the shocks are not bottoming out and the front is sorted out pretty well, it rides great on the freeway, but once you hit the crappy back roads, the ride can be quite harsh. As far as the rear, Ive got the longest lightest coilover springs that will do the job. The rear rides pretty nice considering it's a big tire car, I pretty much sit right over the rear axle. So, in my experience, they ride a bit on the harsh unless on a nice smooth paved road. Just my two cents...

Keith
Thanks, Keith. Honestly, I'm afraid to go on the freeway. I put seat belts in this thing so I don't go flying out when I hit a bump. LOL . . . AND YOU THINK I'M KIDDING.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 PM

I'm going to try the removal of that front spring and remove a couple of those leafs. That will be a good start. Thanks, again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd View Post
Ive had a few buckets over the years, and one in particular handled like a pig on ice skates. Eventually sold it and new owner also hated the ride. Car had the "best of everything" in the front end and I figured it should have ridden pretty well.

A couple of owners later, I caught up with the car again. New owner said it was brutal on bumpy roads so he took it to a dirt track speedway guy to see if it could get sorted. Speedway guy took it for a vigourous drive and came back, removed the front spring and deleted a couple of leaves and fitted it back up again.

He reckons it rides like its on rails now. I didnt travel in it so cant personally verify the result, but it might be worth looking at.

And regarding the front shocks, instead of changing to taller mounts, you may be able to find shorter shocks to avoid bottoming out. We attached cable ties to the shaft of the shocks on one bucket and took it for a drive to see how much work the shock was doing and to see if it was bottoming out. Its a simple way to check for movement.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

My 23 T-bucket is stiff in the front, and could stand to have a leaf or two removed. But I'm having too much back trouble to bother with it. It is up for sale. But on the other hand it handles like it's on rails. 111-1/2 " wheelbase length. I've had it over 120 mph with no handling problems. 10 psi in the rear tires and 15 psi in the front. Making sure the shocks are in mid travel, standing still, is very essential to proper handling and ride quality.

Any one interested, can take a look at my bucket on Charleston WV Craigslist.
The Following User Says Thank You to adantessr For This Useful Post:
bubbamace (09-19-2018)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in