Big Block Chevy builds do and donts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Big Block Chevy builds do and donts?

Hey their fellas,

Newbie here! Got a '73 2 bolt 454 that Im boring 0.060" for my '71 Monte that will be 99% street/highway driven. Im on a real tight budget here and, asked the shop if it was absolutly neccessary to balance the assembly they told me its not on a 454. Any real engine builders have any feedback on the accurracy of this? (Hate to kick myself later)

Just so you know Im doing a 468 with cast/flat pistons, stock rods and cast crank. 049-113cc heads/268H comp cam/700r4/3.08 gears

One more things since I got you here... will getting bigger valves be worth the money in my case and, is hardend seats a must? My instructor told me not really since they do add other things such as magnesium to help lubricate. I would be willing to add lead substitute on road trips and drag races.
Cost of rebuilding to stock $150 for +0.001 valves (I'll do them myself at school vs. cost of rebuilding with bigger valves, and seats $700

Any other advise is much appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 AM

For this mild application. I wouldn't be concerned with larger valves. A balance job probably will not be a must. If most of your internal parts are stock. Your 049 heads will have factory induction hardened seats. Do a good three angle valve job and clean up the bowls. Smooth the short side radius.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM

BBC does and donts...

Thanks guys,

So no, its not neccessary to balance the rotating assembly right? it's all stock except for the new pistons being put on.

Bump up the CR to 9.5 and do some work on the heads (got it). Is this something a begginer should attempt? 9.5 CR (12CC domed pistons/113cc heads) will run on pump gas right?

4.10 gears are low but, let me look into it. I was going for MPG (18+) on the highway with mild performce (at least enough to be competative... 14's in 1/4mile). What would you think 4.10s would put me at (12MPG/12's)?

I just figured since comp cam's cam quest rated my combo at 360hp/540 I should opt to use the gears on the torque(3.08s) side rather than the hp(4.10's).

I read 700r4s are rated to 350hp and 500 torque will 4.10s lessen the strain on the trans compared to taller gears? If so Im all for that. I will also look into the corvette converters. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM

All I can tell you is LISTEN to what "F-Bird" is telling you, the man knows his chit!!! I have ported a number of sets of heads, a beginner should not try this on THE heads he wants to use. Go find an old junk set and practice, google "head porting" read and look at the pictures. You don't want to hog them out, just clean them up and as said do most of the work on the short side radius. You'll understand what all this means once you educate yourself on the subject.

The 700R4 with 4.10's will work perfectly in your rig, if you stay with let's say 3.08's you will lug the crap out of your motor in O/D. Example.....assuming a 27" tire @70 mph, with 3.08's = 1900 rpm .......with 4.10's = 2486 rpm. You want your motor to operate in it's "Sweet Spot" and you'll get better mpg.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:08 AM

Will do.. thanks.

Thanks guys I will try to post some pics/links soon.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in