Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Big Block Quandry
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 09:54 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
SCAT is also Chinese sourced forgings and castings, but SCAT does finish machining here in the US whereas Eagle doesn't.

Most all you crankshaft companies entry level stuff is cast or forged in Asia..Callies CompStar, Molnar, Ohio Crankshaft, along with SCAT and Eagle.
The better companies just do the final machining here in the US, so they can control finish quality.

I like SCAT over Eagle....but Eagle has improved from their earlier problems with sizing and finish and don't appear to have the same problems and poorer reputation they once had.

Stay away from CAT though(Cal Auto Transpeed), very poor quality and finish on the cranks I've seen.
Current unknown on exactly how good the quality is happens to be SpeedMaster(ProComp)...some of it is Ok, some is poor, but it is steadily improving in most cases.
I don't personally know anyone who has used their cranks or pistons....but their connecting rods or decent. You can get the rods fairly cheap, but with questionable Chinese bolts in them...by the time you add replacement ARP bolts and pay for a roundness check on the bores after adding the better bolts you are getting close to SCAT or Eagle price territory.

For your plans, the SCAT or Eagle cast crank would work out fine. I recommend forged pistons to everyone who askes about a stroker, I just think it is good insurance as strokers are never driven by a grandma, they are driven fairly hard and forged pistons give you a wider tuning window along with room to grow down the road(nitrous, bigger cam, more rpm) as hot rod stuff often evolves as we change our minds on what we want or get greedy about power.

This is the best deal on stroker kits I've found as it includes harmonic damper and flexplate and has a special forged piston...you can find cheaper but they typically leave pieces out or use lower grade components or hypereutectic pistons to get that lower price point.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBC-CHEVY-4...UAAOSwo3pWgk44