Blew my lower radiator hose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Blew my lower radiator hose

Hi guys blew my lower radiator hose on my 79 Camaro 383 stroker. Didn't notice for 1 mile that my coolant temp had shot 220+. What's the likely hood of driving with a blown radiator hose for 3 mins without causing catastrophic damage? I let it cool down with electric fan and opened hood (ran fine entire time it was hot) refilled with coolant after and hour plus of cooling off. Restarted the engine ran fine, didn't have oil in my coolant, and no leaks, coolant appeared same color after running 30 minutes with no bubbling. was going to run a compression test and leak down test. If everything checks out am I ok? Is this catastrophic or am I losing sleep over nothing? I understand changing the oil is also vital. Can't believe this happened any suggestions or ideas would be great thanks friends!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

Sounds good. Run it.

Replace your upper hose while your doing them.

If a upper hose goes it can shoot coolant over the cowl and blind you on the older cars. Had it happen on a 80 firebird while going 90. Hose broke right at the thermostat neck. Coolant tried to go forward, fan sent it back right over the windshield. Luckly it was not in a turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (05-18-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good
Last photo:

Did it actually come apart of just blow off the neck?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,078 Times in 2,589 Posts
Run your leakdown and compression tests and record the results, just so you have numbers to keep as reference.

Short amounts of time overheated like that are not nearly as likely to hurt anything as driving it until it either runs like crap or stalls from the heat.

I would not be all that worried if no leaks or water I oil symptoms are present.

I've blown waterpump to block gaskets during dragstrip passes on a 406" SBC and drove back to the pits before even knowing what had happened, or done the same after throwing the alternator/water pump belt off and seen temps approaching 250° and never have any problems.

220+ isn't that hot...NASCAR and a lot of other all-out race engines are run with that as a minimum temp.

Do your checks, but I wouldn't be that worried about it.

Check and tighten intake and exhaust header bolts, waterneck bolts, waterpump to block bolts, valvecover bolts.
Wouldn't hurt to do a retorque on the head bolts if it really worries you and you want total peace of mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:22 AM
True Hotrodder

Yep, you did okay on this one. If you don't see coolant burning out of the exhaust or in the oil it's a survivor.

Now let me tell you about loaning my Z-28 Camaro to my sister while I worked on her 455 Trans-Am....she drove it for over 20+ miles with the gauge pegged! Yep- blew the head gaskets and warped a decent set of heads so much I couldn't cut 'em.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in