Blocking on contours, how? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 PM
See project in Photo Album

Wiki Edits: 0

Blocking on contours, how?

I got a few coats of epoxy primer on the bedsides of my 71 C-10 after shaving the stake pockets and marker lights. I have begun blocking them with a guide coat. I understand how to use my long board on the big areas, but wonder what kind of block to use on the contours of the bedside.

See the outlined area in the picture. I resorted to using a soft foam 3M pad with sticky back 220 paper on the contours. I wonder though if I use a really soft pad am I going to have a flat surface after sanding. Maybe blocking in those areas is not as necessary like on the larger flat areas? I need to at least scratch these small areas for the next coat of primer, instead of sanding them, could I just scotchbrite them? Thanks for any suggestions .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedside_block.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	16816  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM

If it was me I would use a short piece of semi rigid foam rubber and wrap the sandpaper around it. Something like a piece of pipe insulating foam. It'll get into the contours without leaving flat spots. You definately want to block those areas and make them as smooth as possible because light reflects off of those areas very well and you don't want to see waves in the finish. Especially if you're painting black.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done

Hey BigSky.
You want to use a fairly ridged and TRUE "whatever" to block with or you will have waves. Thats not too bad of an area and you could always use the "universial" block. A good paint stick.
Even PVC tube will work for a round block.Not very flexable but it's cheap.
Rubber hose works as well. About anything thats true will work.
I would suggest picking up a few Dura Blocks. They are just SO nice to work with and yeah, they cost a little more but how much is this paint job gonna cost you if it's not straight? The new teardrop is a gem. Nice flat sides and a cool round edge and long enough to block some large areas. The 16" long block is another good one. You can flip it over and use the rounded top sides for small/tight areas.
Mike 85.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 PM

I agree with the DuraBlock suggestion, they are well worth the money, but a cheap paint stick should work fine for that area.

Vince
Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 PM

sanding block

I used a 1" thick piece of black foam ( semi ridgid) and when I sanded I tried not to press too hard. The primer will cut with soft strokes and the foam will not contour to the surface as much...Worked for me............GlennK
Old 12-14-2006, 07:07 AM

Do your shaping with a rigid block/board, I'd use a piece of tubing or similar in that area. Wrap the tubing with paper and roll it in and out of the contour in an X pattern-don't straight line with the tubing or you'll cut grooves. Finish sanding can be done with foam. The Durablocks are nice.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 AM

Last journal entry: Update on my Build-Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I agree with the DuraBlock suggestion, they are well worth the money, but a cheap paint stick should work fine for that area.

Vince

I agree with Vince-I have the AFS Sanders, but I also use Paint Sticks a lot for tight places(and different Paint Stores have different Paint Sticks, so look around)-here is a DuraBlock Sander that I bought, but I don't have any reverse curves to sand ion my Project, so I haven't used it yet-

http://www.detailandstripes.com/af4404.html
Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 AM
See project in Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
Hey BigSky.
You want to use a fairly ridged and TRUE "whatever" to block with or you will have waves. Thats not too bad of an area and you could always use the "universial" block. A good paint stick....
...The new teardrop is a gem. Nice flat sides and a cool round edge and long enough to block some large areas. The 16" long block is another good one. You can flip it over and use the rounded top sides for small/tight areas.
Mike 85.
Well I am in luck then because I have both paint sticks and a new teardrop durablock. It never occcured to me how I could use the pointy side of that durablock for those contours. Awesome, I will try it tonight.

I stopped by a local one man body shop/garage yesterday. The guy was really cool and totally let me ask questions until his work day was over. I spoke with him about the blocking thing too, and he held up his hand and waved his fingers and said to me, "these are not sanding blocks, they are fingers..." It cracked me up. I plan to hang out over there until he gets tired of tripping over me.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done

This is the teardrop one. Sweet tool.

Block

The 7 piece set is really a value for what you get. Just wish they had the teardrop in it.

That the "value" of them, You can use ALL sides and edges for LOTS of different problems.
Notice the reverse curve on the flat blocks "handle"?..........

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in