Body filler? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Wiki Edits: 1

Body filler?

I have some good sized holes in the body of my VW..Ranging from 1" x 1" to 2" x 12".. what whould i use to fill it?

Bondo? i decided welded in floor pans are just as good as replacement pans so the foot area will have an entire new floor but the rear i havent checked into that pan. I know the over engine panel will have to be replaced and there are some places other than that that would need some type of filler or cover instead of welding a 1 inch plate in. it would be alot easier to use a filler... What Kind?

-Cam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Body filler ?

Hey Rusted out floor pann's are A - Typicall Vw . I would not try too fix them with Body filler . 20 Buck's will buy you a 1/4 pann replacement . Course it will say , not for street legal use, sticker on it.

Dont stress it ! Just buy it , then cannibalize it for patch . Weld it in . Now if 1/2 pann or whole side , replacement is warranted . Then you buy a qaulity 1/2 pann replacement . Street legal . Then replace whole side .

I could not tell , by your Pic's . As too how badd it is . With rust , /AKA cancer . You start diggin . There's no tellin where, the cancer stop's , and car start's ?

Pann restoration , Is what usually Come's first . Restore Pann then move ontoo the Body .

Once again. Im gonna Reiterate ! Grinding and wire wheeling is Dangerous ! It only take's 1 time ! Gettin a Peice of steel in your Eye , or Debri ? Pretty much , if it Putt's you too the E.R. Your Done ! It suck's big time ! In Fact what Some time's start's as a minor Irritation, in your Eye ? Can and Will become, so painfull !!!!! You will think , your Gonna go out of your Skull !
Cant stress Safety Glasses enough !

Other Safety consideration's . Dont breathe the Dust . Gett a Particles Mask , And or Painters, Respirator , Mask . You do not wanna breath, this Stuff .

Now Pann Restoration . Im Bettin unless , Battery Box has been replaced ? That it's the worst Side . This is Vw typicall ! Biggest Problem your Faceing here . Is Bottom of the Pann . Underneath the Car the pann is Coated , With Under Coating .

Removal of Under coating . Yipp it's a Jobb . Hot Vw's magg rann an article , on this few year's back . Out lined 3 Way's of doing it .

One way was the use of Chemical Paint remover . Problem is this ? With paint remover , you will still be left Sanding , Wire brushing etc. But now you have a Chemical paint remover, mixed intoo the Under coating . Really nasty stuff . <<< Gett some of that Dust goin , in the air . Gonna Burn Eye's ! The throat, nose ! I thought this part of Article was ignorant . Bigg Mess ! Pull pinn , Toss grenade under the car . Walk off ! Never look Back !

There other reccomendation ? Was use of a Torch . Heat the Under coating . Burnin it off or until it could be, easily Scraped off .

Problem here ? Car fire smoke . Is the most Toxic smoke, fumes there is ! Ok almost, the most Toxic . Any Fireman would tell you No way ! Badd Stuff ! Dont wanna breathe it .

Other reccomendation . This is, the one I use ! Pocket knife , and wire wheeling. Scrape as much off as possible , with a Pocket knife ! Then Wire Wheel the rest .

Now how I do it . I use combination Approach ! When ever Possible . I either Pull the car too Car wash . Or trailer it Too Car wash . I use High pressure , Hose too knock as much under coating off as possible .
Dont for gett, the Fender Well's ? Maybe you own a Pressure washer ? Or can Borrow one ?

If Pressure washin , is out of the Question ? Then Knife Fighting 101 Is what your left with . Wax on Wax off , Grass Hopper . Gett too Scrapping !!

I use chain saw Gloves , for scrapeing with a knife . <<< safer there like chain Mail <, How ever it's Speeled ? Scrape away from your self etc .

Pressure washing can save you over 1/2 the labour ? <<, Worth the Hassle ? When ever possible . Safer , Less Garbage too breathe etc.

Now best too start inside. Remove seat's , Pull tar board's up . Use Angle grinder , with Wire wheel . Keep a dry vacc handy . Keep as much lose stuff as possible , Vaccumed up . Using wire wheel Both on a Drill , and an Angle grinder , Find out where cancer Stop's and Car beginn's .

You feel, the Drill or Angle Grinder , Heatin up ? Lett them Cool off ! Easily burn them up . On a Job like this . Switch out too knife !

Cut and weld patches in ! <<, This will also Help too gett Under coating off the Bottom <<< Less Scrapeing . Welding in the Patch will Burn off some of the Under coating . << Avoid breatheing it .

Any area being welded . << Needs too be clean of Paint , and under coating . Be aware that , theres a Rubber gasket , Between Body and Pann. <<, Dont wanna get it Hot and Melt it / Burn it . But Weldin patch in will losin under coating . Just scrape 3/4 inch around patch seam . So weld is Clean .

Other thing . I want too point out . That Steel line on drivers side that runn's along the Tunnel . It's a Brake line . Dont hitt it with Angle grinder wire wheel . Or smash it . Kink it ! Fold spindle or mutilate it .

Instead Gently clean it up . With Drill wire brush . Then inspect it . <<< If this line leak's , at a later date ? It will instantly peel , your paint Jobb , and cause your new Tar board's too come up , or disinergrate intoo black mush .

As too the Tunnel . If Tarr board and tunnel are in good shape . Might consider , not removeing tarr board . Or be carefull not too damage tarr board . If not remove it ?

As too under coating the Bottom , of the Pann . Before under coating , the Bottom of the Pann . You Will want too Retorque your pann Bolts . << Kinda hard too do , if there coverd in Marhyde , under coating ? Also consider that Body removal , May be Something in the future . That you might consider when Painting the Car .

In other wards Might just wanna Mist the Edge of the Pann , Around the Body Bolt's ? So as too be able too get a Socket on them ? With out having too Scrape the Under coating off . Alway's work too keep your Option's open .

Clean her up . Wire brush her , Down . Take some new pic's . Lett's see what we have here ?

Again ! Protect what you love ! By not gettin Hurt ! Safety Glasses and Goggles , and Particles Mask !!!!! You gett hurt ? The whole Car thing Loses it's Appeal real quick ! Your responsibility , too work safely ! By doing so you Protect , what you Love !

Somethin Badd happen's ? It will never be the Same ! Pretty Much the Love affair is over, after somethin Badd Happens !

For I forgett . Battery Box . Before you wire wheel . Clean up etc. I use Green Scotch Brite Padd . << Usually, stolen Off Kitchen sink ? Too scrubb out Battery Box , with soap and a Hose . That way your not breatheing Battery Acid , When wire wheelin it Clean ?

Most likely Your Battery Box will have a Hole in it, too Drain ? If not Post again . We can discuss a Drain .

Be aware , that every time . I got Somethin in my Eye ? << Been More than 3 or 4 Times I was wearin Safety Glasses !!! And or Goggles AKA face mask ! 35+ Year's of Metal Fabrication . It happend ! Eye protection , is not a Gaurantee . Eye Protection is not perfect ! Keep Glasses Pushed tight too your Face . <<, This one got me twice ! Other time's ? Was when I was , Under Car or On my Back Or bent over, almost upside Down .

Use your Head ! Be carefull ! << At the risk of repeating myself, Over , and Over ! Use Good Goggles , and Face sheild both ! Especially when at weird Angles and Posistion's ! You be Lucky too get thru this , car ? With out at least a few minor Mishapp's ! So Keep them Minor Mishapp's !

Sean
Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Wiki Edits: 1

i can get entire pans for 159.99...
but i figured family welded for free.. and free sheet metal was a better track... but ofcourse the other pans are pre fit..

and this is not..
but again u dont know the quality of the pans

idk yet

but what should i use for the spots other than the floor pan

like on the hood.. and etc.
-Cam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in