Bow in center of hood, how to fix? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 AM
See project in Photo Album

Wiki Edits: 0

Bow in center of hood, how to fix?

I am restoring my 71 Chevy C-10 pickup. I bought a 67 front clip for the sloped hood and more simple grill. I brought the stock hood inside to begin cleaning it up today after deciding the cowl hood I also have just doesn't look right. Anyway I had forgotten that the stock hood has a bow right in the center. The rib in the center of the hood is down about 3/8", but I cannot see a visible crease there. I am wondering how to go about bringing this low area back up. I have very little experience with dent removal but I do have a budget hammer and dolly setup. I was thinking of using the edge of an approximate 3' board somehow to push on it, but I truly just don't know how to proceed. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front clip 016.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	18710   Click image for larger version

Name:	front clip 018.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	18711  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 02:12 AM

Last journal entry: rear end detail

Hi just try pushing it up some . You can use the dolly and hammer to relieve any oil can in the metal . Start by working the outer edge of low area and come in toward center. Just lightly tapping on metal skin. That hood is going to need some long arms though.

a product of dropping the hood closed
Old 02-21-2007, 03:40 PM

The center rib needs to come up some before you start tapping the high areas down IMO. Your idea of using a block of wood to fit the inside of that rib is a good one to start the dent removal process. Fit the block of wood so it isn't quite as long as the dented area and give it a good upward wack with a 2lb hammer, check your progress with every wack. when the rib is close to being at the proper height you can switch to regular body hammers, dollies, and spoons to finesse the rest of the damage out. Also watch you don't have any sharp corners and edges on that block or they'll transfer into your hood metal. If there's some stretch showing in the metal around the rib with an oil can condition (metal flimsy and flopping) you'll then need to shrink some with heat. A shrinking disc works wonders for this-buy one and don't think twice about it.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 PM

I am glad to learn that my block of wood idea was in the ballpark. I will do that first.

I am concerned about the oil canning after I push the rib back up. I have followed a few threads about the shrinking disk, but have never really been sure the how and why of it. The people that know how to use them sure do swear by them though.

Unfortunately the rib is less than 1.5" wide so a regular piece of lumber will not work. I will cut a piece of wood to fit inside the rib and go at it!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

I don't think a shrinking disc is required to fix that. I doubt that you will have an oilcan condition. It does not look like the metal to either side of the bead has been stretched much if at all. You might try setting the hood upside down over several layers of cardboard and using a corking tool. Just a piece of wood shaped to fit the body detail (center section), and pounded on with a hammer to get the center raised back up. Start at the shallow parts on either end of the dip and work your way into the middle. It will take multiple sessions of gradual persuasion to get it back to where you can smooth any small ripples or lumps caused by the corking tool. Be sure to keep the hood in good contact with the card board below.

John
Old 02-23-2007, 02:32 PM

John, thank you for replying. I like the idea of setting the hood upside down to work on it. One of the difficulties I have foreseen is holding this hood in place while trying to work the dent out [my wife supports my project but doesn't want to be involved in any late night metal work ]. I had considered re-installing it on the truck but then I'd just be banging against the hood hinges/springs and possibly creating more problems...

I am pulling my new wiring currently, once that's done I will get to work on this hood. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:44 AM

Stop Stop Stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most folks dont know how to carry/handle hoods that are generally flat.
YOU ALWAYS CARRY AND STORE THESE THINGS UPRIGHT, NOT FLAT.
Flat with couple guys and you walk around with it and HUH WHERE R WE GONNA
PUT THIS THING ITS HEAVY and you put it FLAT on a couplea horses or such.
Welcom to sprung hood city. My gut says thats what happened here.
Even carrying it flat, if it dont get sprung like yours, the cross braces get screwed up and yoiu find the back of hood to cowl is bad.

I would HAND shape a block of wood with a crown close to that of your hood
then try to mess it into shape. U even MIGHT have to do a bit of dinging there and some filling....

A possible EZ option rather than file and sand the 2 x 4 to shape could be turn the hood upside down,*** add a piece of visqueen or other plastic flat onto the crown, and use solid bondo pressed into place, and embed the 2 x 4 FLAT to the bondo, with like 1" wood screws into the 2x4, to secure the bondo to the wood.

Thinkaboutit!!!!

MELLO

*** yeah, rotating it NOT flat but like sidewise, and support evenly at sides and center.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in