Brake Problem BIG TIME! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake Problem BIG TIME!

okay guys. where to start. well when I first bought this car it had no front brake calipers and they've been off for a good year or so. well anyways I finally got around to buying new ones and I put them on went to bleed them and nothing! so I thought okay. bled the master cylinder, and rear drums. then went back to the front. nothing! I had an assisstant hold the pedal down, loosened the bleeder then tightened back up and repeated that process for a good 5-10 mins. any suggestions? I checked the lines and they aren't rusted at all and theres no breaks in them. I've been told to try using a vacuum pump to suck the air out that way. you think that would work? I really am stumped on this one. Thanks guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Did you replace the flex hoses too?

There may be a blockage in them. Even if you did, there may be debris from the steel lines that was sitting all that time.....rust etc.

Disconnect the flex lines and see if you have flow just out of the steel lines.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:50 AM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash

Now stop right there!

First off get a pair of line clamps and block off your front flex lines; have you got a better pedal ?
If you do it is likely that the new calipers have not been installed so the bleed valve is in the highest position, on some cars you can put the calipers on the wrong side and the bleed nipple is too low leaving air above it. Had a friend with a T Bucket had this problem in 1986 because he made his own mounts. I took off the calipers and placed a bit of wood between the pads so the pistons would not pop and then held the cals so the bleeder was up, a couple of pumps on each and all was OK' carefully put them back on and has been working fine since, hope this helps

Ooroo

Rob

Old 12-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment

If the front system has been open and the pedal pushed, the metering valve should have closed of the front part of the brakes.
You need to reset the switch (valve). Thats why it's called a duel brake system.

Troy
Old 12-20-2004, 03:27 PM

troy! thats the kinda reply I was looking for! how do I go about reseting this switch?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:36 PM

If it has been in that position very long it may be stuck. Sometimes they are very hard to get back in the right place.

Try getting the front system sealed up, then break the rear loss or open a bleeder on the rear, and push the pedal, this should kick the switch back the other way. You may have to gravity bleed to get fluid back in the front system ( or use a pressure bleeder ) until you do get some fluid in the front, the switch will probably just kick back and forth. Sometimes they go easy and sometimes they don't. If you can find one there is a special tool that screws into the valve to lock it in the center for bleeding purposes. There should be a brake warning light on the dash telling you that pressure has failed at one end or the other, and that the switch has moved. When the light dosn't come on when the pedal is pushed with the key on, then the switch is in the neutral position. Brakes should be bleed starting with the furthest away bleeder, RR then LR then RF then LF. You may have to replace the switch to get the system bleed.

I'll try this picture of the tool, I can't get a clear shot for some reason.

Troy

Last edited by troy-curt; 12-20-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM

brakes

crack open the metal brake line where it attach's to the flex hose, you should have fluid there. if not go to the master cylinder and open the fitting to the front brakes and check for fluid. if you have fluid at the master cyl got to the distribution valve, the one that has a wire that turn the brake light on the dash. see if fluid comes out of the valve going to the front brakes and work down . if there is no fluid at this point the valve may be set to one side not allowing fluid to pass and has to be reset. see what you can find out. good luck
Old 12-20-2004, 08:08 PM

okay guys thanks so much for the help. my last question. My cousin has a vacuum pump do you think if I hook that up to one of the bleeders on the front calipers and loosen it and suck fluid you think that would work also?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:26 AM

If the switch is centered, that will work.

TRoy

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in