Brake proportioning valve ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake proportioning valve ?

I have a MII front end and a 8.8 Ford with disk brakes in the rear on my 53 and I'm starting to wonder if my rear brakes are not grabbing like they should. I have a 1988 F-150 master cyl and booster and a willwood adjustable proportioning valve. If I open the valve up all the way I still can not get the back brakes to lock up. I know the fronts are supposed to lock up first, I'm just trying to establish a base line to adjust from. Because the master cyl is designed for rear drums, would that make any difference ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Capt Mike

53 3100

I have to Laugh at myself. I just re-red the Wilwood instructions as it's time for me to adjust my p valve.

When We first installed new calipers ETC, we couldn't get the P valve adjusted...

Then We read the instructions,,, not what I first though when We installed new disc brakes and this P valve.

This part is what got me...

Hope this helps..

The knob rotated all the way out (counter-clockwise) will provide a maximum pressure REDUCTION

Rotating the knob in (clockwise) will incrementally increase line pressure, up to full pressure.

The adjusting knob is marked with an arrow indicating the direction required to decrease line pressure to the calipers.

The knob rotated all the way out (counter-clockwise) will provide a maximum pressure reduction of 57%.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:43 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Ditto. Turn the knob IN to get more pressure.

454 RATTLER

Old 08-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks guys, my instructions are long gone but even at that, I'm not sure I ever read them. I guess common sense isn't how all things are designed or worded. I try the opposite way and see what happens.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM

I always like to find a smooth gravel road without a bunch of traffic on it to test out any brake work that I have questions of. There is a nice spot by my shop I use. With a few tries you can find out not only which ones grab first, but should be able to tell how much force needs to be applied to pedal before the others start to work too. Doesn't take much speed, usually only 15 mph or less. With a little detective work and some trial and error you can get them dialed in just how you like. And they will work the same on pavement, just a whole lot better!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM

I live about two and a half miles down a gravel road, and I'm the only place so that is not a problem. I was doing the exact same things you described ,going about 15 or so then locking up the brakes, it's pretty easy to tell what's going on.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:00 PM

Yep, that made a big difference! I still can't get the rears to lock up first but I can sure tell that their back there now. I thought it stopped good before but it stops great now. For some reason I can't get them to lock up on pavement but that's not a terrible thing I guess. If I didn't have my seat belt on I'm sure I would have been kissing the windshield.
The Following User Says Thank You to 53 3100 For This Useful Post:
Excellenceautosoluti (08-06-2019)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in