Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - brake trouble on 58 truk
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Wiki Edits: 0

brake trouble on 58 truk

guys i'm in a pickle. the brakes have failed on my 58 chevy truk, pedal goes to the floor type fail

setup: total rebuild of 58 truk that i got on the road in early 2011
fatman mustII ifs, not sure the total makeup of parts.
86 trans am 9 bolt, with stock iron Delco-Moraine calipers with the ratchet parking brake, no parking brake lever.
junkyard 03 mustang hydroboost/mc homemade under floor bracket using the stock 58 swing arm and pedal. 03 mustang distribution block and nissan quest remote reservoir added in fall of 2011.
new ss 3/16'' brake lines, 10 psi residual pressure valves in front and rear lines. no leaks in any line ever.

initially everything worked fine, 1.5 inches of travel to lock up the brakes. the few miles i put on it in the spring was great, still no leaks, no fluid lost. my breakin cruise was the 2011 power tour. no leaks, no problems from detroit to cocoa beach, valdosta, birmingham and nashville. south of indy i had a braided ss line leaking near the banjo fitting, this was before i had installed the remote reservoir. was able to fill and bleed the system in indy with a still leaking braided line and made it back to motown safely.

i replaced the line and added the remote reservoir july 2011. i couldn't get the brakes to bleed, wasted a gallon of brake fluid proving this. replaced the mc with an o'reilly's reman and got most of the pedal back, maybe 2" of travel to lockup. still good brakes.

fast forward to spring of this 2018, haven't added brake fluid to the system since fall of 2011. pedal has more travel, within half an inch of the floor, though i can see where the pedal has imprinted on the carpet. so off to a buds shop to try to bleed the system. we lose all pedal at this time, bought a new 03 mustang mc and regained some pedal, still almost to the floor.

1st pic is the underfloor hydroboost/mc setup with stock mustang reservoir
2nd pic is the rebuilt mc and the remote reservoir from the nissan quest
3rd pic fatman mustII ifs
4th pic engine bay showing the nissan quest remote reservoir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	430273   Click image for larger version

Name:	0702011504.JPG
Views:	55