Building a garage. Features to incorporate? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

Late to the party myself and I sure hope this hasn't been built yet...
The biggest reason is it is too narrow. 20' is not enough width. 20' is the OUTSIDE dimension of the building. Wall thickness will cut that inside dimension down to 19' for 2 x 4 construction and 18 1/2' for 2 x 6.
The OP really needs to upsize the width to get any kind of working and parking room in that shop... 26' would be minimum in my book, 28 would be better.
Another point is, there is no need to pour a slab thicker then 4" for a 2 post hoist. BendPak's requirement is 4" at 3000 psi for their 9 and 10K lifts. Just an FYI... You can google it to verify if you like.
Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

storage lofts

I have 2 10 ft X 20 ft lofts. `I got a free trailer house frame and cut it to fit between the metal truss locations. welded to the truss at the walls and added 2 in pipe posts. one loft for wood storage and the other for Misc. I got a deal on commercial storage racks. There is apx 120 ft of racking, storage space for various projects that I gather parts for my projects and a couple kids projects. As soon as my grandson gets his eagle scout award the 48 jeepster will move to their 3 1/2 car garage. , an another son moves into house with a 3 car garage so the 36 pontiac will go and maybe have some working room

Last edited by timothale; 11-05-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Maybe instead of a lift, a pit could be a good idea: if you do not use it, cover and park/walk over it!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Last journal entry: Project change

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFooz View Post
Late to the party but...
there is a HUGE thread on GarageJournal about these scissor lifts - I installed one and LOVE it. They have limitations but the +'s far outnumber the -'s. Didn't want a 2-Post - no room in my home garage and didn't want to bag doors on them. They are ALWAYS there - mine disappears into the floor and lifts high enough to stand under - I'm 6'3".
If you want some Info I'd be happy to share - I have a bunch of pics from my install on the GJ forum - there are others too. I self-imported it and saved a TON-O-Money.. Fun project - would do it again.
Just something to think about if you haven't made a firm decision on a lift yet.
What is the brand name of your lift. Looks like what I need.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Mine is a Dayang DY-QJY3.0S
There's literally HUNDREDS of manufacturers over there that make em. I went thru AliBaba - China's version of Amazon. An amazing thing but the import process was pretty painless. I have $1800 in it - TO MY DOOR! The concrete work was extra - I did the wiring myself.
Look on GarageJournal Dot Com for the scissor lift thread - it is HUGE! unfortunately, a lot of pics got screwed up from the PhotoBucket Fiasco - not mine though. My UserName there is JumboShrimp. Do yourself a favor and read the thread - beware, it is L O N G ! !
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Last journal entry: Project change

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFooz View Post
Mine is a Dayang DY-QJY3.0S
There's literally HUNDREDS of manufacturers over there that make em. I went thru AliBaba - China's version of Amazon. An amazing thing but the import process was pretty painless. I have $1800 in it - TO MY DOOR! The concrete work was extra - I did the wiring myself.
Look on GarageJournal Dot Com for the scissor lift thread - it is HUGE! unfortunately, a lot of pics got screwed up from the PhotoBucket Fiasco - not mine though. My UserName there is JumboShrimp. Do yourself a favor and read the thread - beware, it is L O N G ! !
Thanks for the info. I been reading since I was a little kid so it don't bother me. lol

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in