Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Caliper Position-- Front or Back?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Caliper Position-- Front or Back?

I just got a kit to convert my 8" Ford rear end from drum to disk brake. The way the instructions say to install it puts the caliper at about 1 o'clock or at about 11 o'clock in front or back. Both of these positions will hit the inner fenderwell with the arm for the Ebrake on the back of the caliper during compression of the suspension. I'm not cutting the inner fenderwell. But by flipping a bracket 180* I can mount the calipers at about the 4 o'clock position. Not exactly according to directions, but then I don't think I ever bought anything for a hotrod that didn't need at least some modification to make work! I realize that this puts the bleeder not at the top of the caliper, so I will have to take the caliper off to bleed it, but other than that does the position of the caliper makes a difference? For instance, my C5 Corvette has the front brakes mounted on the rear just below center. The rear brakes are mounted on the front just above center. I'm thinking those GM engineers had a reason as to where they placed the calipers. I'm thinking with the caliper on the front the wheel wants to trip over the caliper. With the caliper on the rear the wheel wants to run under the caliper. I'm sure this must figure into the engineering somewhere. Anybody got any insight?