Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Caliper Position-- Front or Back?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 05:45 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw22w View Post
I just got a kit to convert my 8" Ford rear end from drum to disk brake. The way the instructions say to install it puts the caliper at about 1 o'clock or at about 11 o'clock in front or back. Both of these positions will hit the inner fenderwell with the arm for the Ebrake on the back of the caliper during compression of the suspension. I'm not cutting the inner fenderwell. But by flipping a bracket 180* I can mount the calipers at about the 4 o'clock position. Not exactly according to directions, but then I don't think I ever bought anything for a hotrod that didn't need at least some modification to make work! I realize that this puts the bleeder not at the top of the caliper, so I will have to take the caliper off to bleed it, but other than that does the position of the caliper makes a difference? For instance, my C5 Corvette has the front brakes mounted on the rear just below center. The rear brakes are mounted on the front just above center. I'm thinking those GM engineers had a reason as to where they placed the calipers. I'm thinking with the caliper on the front the wheel wants to trip over the caliper. With the caliper on the rear the wheel wants to run under the caliper. I'm sure this must figure into the engineering somewhere. Anybody got any insight?
Our minds work alike. I asked Phoenix area Super Comp builder Tom Yancer about one of his latest cars. He had the calipers on the rear of the wheels and I asked if that wouldn't tend to unload the tire when the brakes were applied, as opposed to mounting them on the front of the wheel and planting the tire when the brakes were applied. He said he never thought about it much and wasn't concerned with it. Maybe I'm full of beans.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
jaw22w (09-23-2019)