Cam timing question on SBC 350H - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2018, 06:28 AM

Last journal entry: Working suspension now.
Wiki Edits: 0

Question Cam timing question on SBC 350H

Hello all,

So this is basic, and probably kinda dumb... but here goes.

The previously running 350 in my 29 coupe had noisy timing gears in it.
I replaced them with some quiet ones as follows:

I rotated the crank shaft to TDC on #1. With spark plug out and used a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut and rotated crank until I could feel compression coming from the driver's side front cylinder. (#1). Then verified with a screw driver that the piston was at the top.

When I checked the timing marks on the gears that were installed, Both the timing mark on the cam, and the timing mark on the crank gear were at 12 oclock. Kinda new to sbc, I didn't think much of that, just assumed that's the way timing gear timing marks lined up on sbc.

I removed and replaced the timing gear set without turning the crank or cam. (To be honest both moved a bit, but definitely not more than a few degrees back and forth)

Looking through an sbc rebuild book this morning, I was reading the section on cam timing and saw the timing marks are supposed to be lined up at 6 oclock on the cam, and 12 oclock on the crankshaft. My engine is not completely back together yet, and I haven't fired up, so I quickly **** a brick, paniced and yelled WTF. I went back and re-read the installation instructions for the timing gear set, and verified it also saud set to set the cam timing mark at 6 oclock, and the crank timing mark at 12 oclock.

I'm trying to figure what is going on.

The timing cover, balancer, and water pump are already installed, I want to avoid removing them to verify whether timing is correct or not, if at all possible.

It just seemed to me, if I didn't turn anything while replacing them, the timing would be correct, but I can't understand why the timing marks don't line up, unless I actually had the #1 at TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke, but I don't see how that's possible given that I felt compression at the spark plug hole while turning the crank.

Thoughts anyone?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Last journal entry: Project change

If u didn't move anything it's all ok. Worst that can happen is distributor would be 180 out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fang16 For This Useful Post:
29fordcoupe (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Music and Hot Rods

I always set them up so that the cam mark is @ 6 oclock and the crank @ 12. Once it's together I rotate the engine 1 revolution to make them 12 and 12. THAT is when you line up the distributor and install it pointing at #1. If you leave the marks at 12 and 6, you can point the dist at #6 and all will be okay. I just prefer to make them 12 and 6 and point the rotor at #1.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:47 AM
True Hotrodder

Before you took it apart IF you had rotated the engine one more revolution, the marks would have been lined up at 6 oclock on the cam and 12 oclock on the crank. This IS the usual method of installation for the gears. The fact that you installed them the way you removed means everything is just fine.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,831 Times in 2,118 Posts
The Chevy engineers could have made it so much easier on everybody if they had just made the marks on the sprockets so that 6 PM on the cam sprocket and Noon on the crank sprocket was firing on #1 cylinder. But they didn't. They made it so that it was firing on #6 cylinder and you had to rotate the crank 360 degrees clockwise to get around to #1 cylinder firing, showing Noon on the cam gear and Noon on the crank gear. You may be able to figure it out a little better by looking at the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Four cylinders fire in each revolution of the crank, so that it takes two complete revolutions of the crank to fire all eight cylinders. Cylinders 1 and 6 both have the piston at top dead center at the same time when you put the pulleys on at cam 6 PM and crank Noon, but #6 is at ignition and #1 is at overlap. Then, when you turn the crank 360 degrees clockwise, #6 is at overlap and #1 is at ignition.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:23 PM

Thanked 1,200 Times in 951 Posts
The Ford Yblock had both gears at the 90 degree position pointing to your right when standing in front. Then you verified this by counting I think it was 12 chain pins between pip marks.

Then International Harvester V8's used number 3 to time the ignition, there's probable a guy out there that got a tune up job on one of these as a kid and still hasn't got it running.

Count your blessings that the Chevy is only a little goofy.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (11-06-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

My general OCD wouldn't let me continue assembly without checking it.
So I took it all apart and rotated it to check the timing marks at 6 and 12.

From the input here, and talking to a couple of machine shops and a mechanic, If I had lined it up perfectly at 12 and 12, it actually would have worked fine.

But the Machine shop guy asked me "Did you use a straight edge to line it up"
I had to say "NO"

He told me to check it, could easily be a tooth off if you didn't line it up with a straight edge.

I checked it and it was a tooth off.
Now its lined up at the timing marks at 6 and 12, and perfectly aligned with a straight edge.

So when in doubt, just check it again.
Well worth a new timing cover gasket, and water pump gaskets for the peace of mind.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanked 1,200 Times in 951 Posts
GM alignment is with both pip marks at the 12 o'clock position. The use of a straight edge for checking is fraught with problems since the surfaces between the marks are not smooth and the distance long, so it can be difficult to see an error.

My method, and I think you'll find plenty of supporters here, is to install the cam ready to fire number 6 instead of number 1. That puts the crank gear pip mark at 12 and the cam gear's pip at 6 o'clock which is facing each other making it easy to see the alignment especially with clockable crank gears that offer before, at , or after TDC choices. As long as you remember what you did you can just put it back together but position the distributor cap and rotor for firing number 6, but the cap wiring is conventional starting with number 1 in the factory chosen scheme. If you are concerned about forgetting where everything is after you put on the timing cover then after setting the gears with pips facing each other give the crank one complete turn so both pips are at 12 o'clock and it is set to fire number one then install the distributor and cap in the GM position. Although the intake may not be on for awhile the distributor dropped in and possibly ties down will give you visual indicator of where the crank is.

Bogie
Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Glad to hear you got it checked and fixed
Old 01-08-2019, 05:30 PM

follow up.

Took me awhile to get back here, but I ended up pulling git back apart and resetting the timing marks as suggested. The piece of mind doing this was worth it. Fired right up, cam timing is perfect.
Thanks for all the input.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 29fordcoupe For This Useful Post:
64nailhead (01-08-2019), AutoGear (01-09-2019)

Tags
cam timing, sbc, timing gears

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in