Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can I put a turbo 350 in place of 700r4?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 01:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Hello guys I just bought a 1996 chevy s10 with a 350 vortec and what looks to be a 700r4. As far as I can tell the 700r4 does not have any electronics. I looked underneath the truck and it looks like all the original stock crossmembers and everything else is the same that came with the truck. What I am wondering can I swap this tranny out for a turbo 350 and be able to keep everything else the same with out customizing? Also is the turbo 350 about the same size as the 700r4? I know some may say leave it as it is but I like the turbo cause its cheaper to build and from what I can tell there are a lot more extras for them ready then the 700r4. I can get a brand new turbo350 from summit or jegs for around $700. Well thanks for any help.
Eric
Before you go back in time check out www.transmissioncenter.net they have tons of build stuff for your 700R4,the 700R4 has a lower 1st gear which will get you off the line quicker and the loss of the overdrive will cost you 3-4 MPG and at todays gas prices,not a good move plus the cost of the conversion parts and hassle making the swap is a step in the wrong direction.