Can't get my Hurst shifter to engage reverse - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can't get my Hurst shifter to engage reverse

The shifter won't go past the 1/2 gate and hits a hard stop. It won't engage the reverse lever. I can manually engage all of the gears by hand at the transmission so it must be something in the shifter itself. Looking at it, when it hits the hard stop, I can't see anything that is causing the shifter to stop. It acts the same on the car as well as clamped in a vise.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Both the other levers have to be in the neutral position before the reverse lever will move...

Also be sure the linkage is assembled correctly so that the reverse lever is being moved in the proper direction... no upside down shifter levers...
Old 07-25-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
Both the other levers have to be in the neutral position before the reverse lever will move...

Also be sure the linkage is assembled correctly so that the reverse lever is being moved in the proper direction... no upside down shifter levers...

We have a 1/4" drill bit holding the assembly in neutral and no luck. I took a video to show the lack of engagement. I apologize if you spot something very simple...I know next to nothing about these shifters!

Old 07-25-2020, 09:43 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Is the 1/4 drill bit stopping reverse? Are the shifter rods adjusted to the correct length to put the Hurst levers into neutral position?
Old 07-25-2020, 10:36 AM

Unhook the shift rods , put the drill bit in only far enough to engage the 1-2 & 3-4 levers of the shifter , while holding minimal pressure on the shifter see if you can move the reverse lever so the shifter engages if it wont , then some
thing is amiss in the shifter , they are a fairly simple mechanism & there are YouTube videos on rehabbing them . If you can get it to engage , then there is a manufacturing error in the reverse lever , set the alignment " so it works" or modify/ replace parts / mechanism ...
Old 07-25-2020, 11:33 AM

Ok, we figured a little more out. It seems that if we push the shifter down it will go into reverse. If we don't push down it won't. When you shift out of reverse, it pops back up. The weird thing is, that I never used to push down on the shifter to go into reverse before.

https://youtu.be/8bjfbKyG2jo
Old 07-25-2020, 11:43 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Yeah, don't remember having to push down on Hurst... just over to the side... maybe I was doing both...
Old 07-25-2020, 12:08 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,736 Times in 3,102 Posts
What you've got there is either an early Hurst Speedway Super Shifter, or possible the one called a Ram Rod.

I can tell it is from the same lineage that evolved into the Super Shifter III, as I can recognize the tall shifter body mounting plate and the straight linkage rods.

The yellow coil spring seen in the first video was another tip-off, it is part of that push-down reverse lock-out you discovered. Most Hurst Competition Plus shifter body's don't have that feature, it wasn't around for long before being replaced with a separate little flat plate with a Red, rubber dipped T-handle on the end of it as a short separate stick that stuck up next to the main stick...you had to put the shifter in neutral, reach down and lift the small read T-handle about 1/4" to pen the gate, then you could shift over to reverse. When you shifted back out of reverse, you then pushed the small T-handle back down to lock the reverse gate back out of access.

Let me see if I can find some images.

The newer small handle image:

The newer style lock-out complete shifter:

They made them in the style you have, then NHRA/IHRA/AHRA drag strip rules changed to require a separate lever lockout and the newer style they still make was introduced.

A Google search for "Hurst Super Shifter lock-out" will show a couple images of shifters with that spring in them like yours.

That's a nice old shifter you've got.
You are aware it won't fit under the floor of any muscle era car without major surgery to the side of the trans tunnel and shifter hump?? You have to cut the side of the tunnel out for about 20" to open up space for that high tower and straight line shifter rods
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
RWENUTS (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 01:02 PM

Never new about those , interesting !
As with most things , I have a story - my buddy freddy . In about '68 Freddy had a beautiful 56 chev , he made good money so most everything was top notch ! Very hot 327 - 4-speed , Pontiac rear . Pulled up to the line , brought the revs up to 5000 , dropped the hammer , car shuddered , yep he was in reverse , guy in the staging lane behind him was not pleased , seems that parts of the rear end were in his radiator . We remind him.....often !
Old 07-25-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2fast View Post
Never new about those , interesting !
As with most things , I have a story - my buddy freddy . In about '68 Freddy had a beautiful 56 chev , he made good money so most everything was top notch ! Very hot 327 - 4-speed , Pontiac rear . Pulled up to the line , brought the revs up to 5000 , dropped the hammer , car shuddered , yep he was in reverse , guy in the staging lane behind him was not pleased , seems that parts of the rear end were in his radiator . We remind him.....often !
Ha, I can imagine! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-25-2020, 03:42 PM

EricNova72 - actually it seems to fit fine in my 68 Chevelle. It was in the car when I bought it, doesn't look like any more work was done but you're right, the rods are very straight compared to all the other shift arms I see online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200725_173116_1595713350207.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	457539  
Old 07-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2fast View Post
Pulled up to the line , brought the revs up to 5000 , dropped the hammer , car shuddered , yep he was in reverse
Yeah, never stand behind a vehicle blasting off... he may have backed up a bit on the lights and forgot it was in reverse...

Tags
engage, hurst, reverse, shifter

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in