Car insurance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Car insurance

What does everybody have for insurance on their rides. I got mine from American Modern Collector. I've been reading some reports about Hagerty where people are very very happy with how they're treated, and I've been reading some questionable things about American modern collector insurance. Has anybody had experience with them good bad otherwise ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,965 Times in 2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 3100 View Post
What does everybody have for insurance on their rides. I got mine from American Modern Collector. I've been reading some reports about Hagerty where people are very very happy with how they're treated, and I've been reading some questionable things about American modern collector insurance. Has anybody had experience with them good bad otherwise ?
I believe Hagerty uses a "mutually agreed upon" value of the car. This makes sense to me. If you both agree on "X" value, then you will pay "X" premium and get "X" money if the car is totalled, not 1/2 X.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Capt Mike

I've had Grundy for over 12 years with agreed value on each car, I'm pleased with the rates and coverage.

The agreed value is listed on the policy with the various coverage and cost individually for each car in a spreadsheet format which is makes nice for comparisons.

Michael

Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 PM

In the past I have had State Farm with the agreed on value. And presently have Country Financial for the three cars with different stated values. The only issue I encounter was years ago with State Farm when another SF policy holder damaged my car. The claims office wasn't very helpful cause SF was going to pay no matter what.
Just be sure of having a agreed on value and keep it current with the market value of your car, don't get caught being uninsured.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:55 PM

We have it insured for $45,000 as a agreed value, I think that must be how most of them do it. I know we had to take pictures of the shed it was kept in and lots of pictures of the pickup for the policy. It may be a bit over insured but If it gets totaled, I wan't to make sure I can buy a replacement.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:16 PM
Capt Mike

My advice is to always get the value is "Agreed Value" in Writing
Old 08-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Hagerty.....................
Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 AM

insurance

had hagarty = $$$$ for premiums
grundy= $$$ for premiums
then went to american collectors in NJ. same policy agreed value and cost less. have them for 3 yrs now.
grundy and hag are great comp's to use but pay more.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:07 PM

Last journal entry: Start over

I'm with safeco. Full coverage, no, restrictions, real good price. They said full value but I think I might have to do some work if that day ever comes.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

I use Hagerty. Tech's right on the agreed upon value too. When i contracted with them a few years ago i thought, maybe they're going to send someone out here to appraise it? They didn't but rather quoted a value based upon the model of car and few specs i provided. I agreed w/their assessments..Have not had to use them for anything yet thank goodness, but so far so good.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,360 Times in 2,452 Posts
Hagerty with agreed value. They charge about 50 bucks more so I could keep the wreck if a right off occurs, and still get the full policy amount.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:38 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchfire View Post
I'm with safeco. Full coverage, no, restrictions, real good price. They said full value but I think I might have to do some work if that day ever comes.
full coverage means blue book value, which on a classic is typically $0
you have no coverage unless you have an agreed value policy and the agreed value is written on the policy
an acquaintance of mine just went thru a zero pay wreck, he was assure by his insurance guy that he had ''full coverage''

my dd is thru safeco, they offer no agreed value policies, my classic is thru grundy
haggerty will not cover any vehicle that is actually driven, i had haggerty until they found out i drive 5000+ miles each year
Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

haggerty does cover a car that's driven, albeit, there is a mileage limit best i recall. But...when's the last time when you had haggerty that they asked you for an odometer reading from year to year?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdobbs77 View Post
haggerty does cover a car that's driven, albeit, there is a mileage limit best i recall. But...when's the last time when you had haggerty that they asked you for an odometer reading from year to year?
That's what my Insurance lady said. If they never ask you for an odometer reading, don't worry about. She acted 100% certain of it.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Capt Mike

I recently had a huge issue with my insurance company.

DENIED CLAIM. Mice got into my garage.....

When I went with this company "ABC" over a decade ago I had a long discussion Collectors Division Manager,,, re various items and damages covered, towing,, glass,.... and specifically damage from Rodents. I wanted to cover the bases, We've all read or heard horror stories.

Note, like many I'm retired, don't drive to work, No Accidents or Tickets is 40 years. Currently SIX collector cars insured. I've going to drop three, I will not be driving them for a long while, prob sell several..

At the start I was told that my Collectors Cars must be stored in a locked garage, okay that's basic, and Rodent damage is Covered. Nowhere in my policy did I find this wasn't true. I reviewed rodent damage specifically because of my past knowledge of friends over the years having rodents, mice & rats,,, damages. Seems this has changed without me being notified..

My comp damage claim for one of my cars in a locked garage damaged form Mice Piss was denied !! "Bird & Rodent damage" not covered. a couple of pages seemed to be slipped in with the heading of Collector Car, very odd,, and separate page numbers.

I have since called a few Collector Companies, I haven't got a YES Yet for rodent damages. I did receive a "Maybe, it depends" from H....... After a long conversation with their Rep including info like how much I drive each car per year,, etc. She never answered the Maybe part on Rodents Conditions, yes or no & why.. This company has some interesting questions on how much and where one drives their collector cars, and they seemed to be more flexible of where one can drive. I was impressed, but quite a policy $$ increase. I recommend every one checks their policies very carefully and read the Driving selections of websites specifically where one drives....

My Corvette, poor old gal...

When I went out to my detached garages, fairly new BTW, To move my restored C4 Corvette Convert up on our drive-on rack located in the house garage. It was time to deal with the clutch slave cylinder replacement and change all the fluids. I wanted a make it too a few late Summer Street Rods events. I don't drive this Car much.

When I pulled the car cover off, the smell was sickening, Mouse Urine. I'll tell you I was horrified as I've helped friends in this exact aftermath and knew what I was in for in getting the stench out.

I've since gutted the interior and deep into my cleanup. No chewed wires, but carpets, leather seats, some seals chewed up and piss everywhere. Also corrosion on connectors and a few electronic modules fried, due to piss.. This will take months and month to cleanup and repalce the damaged parts, heater box too

First emailed my direct contact, the Div Manager stated That I was covered, then later denied.

I strongly recommend that everyone checks their policy.

Michael...

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in