Which carb Quadrajet or Holley? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 02:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I found a company that will put an electric choke on a 4MC which is a earlier Quadrajet that is supposed to work great on my engine. I just always liked the electric choke for simple installation.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM

i bought a quad from a junk yard thought i could rebuild it like new.the kit didnt have **** in it .rebuilt it and ran like **** backfired everything.im not saying EVERY quad is like this.but hey through experience i find the light.

some info:quads use needes to richen mixture.has small primaries for better fuel economy and big secondaries for high poform.they say quads are a more NEWER desighn than holley.and is better for SOME things.also the shape of the bottom of the quad is better for THAT performance manilfiold.because its spreadbore.and more like the opening of the manifld.

HOLLEYS are performance machines.i think most race cars use only HOLLEY.
are generally easier to tune.you can buy jet tuners and vac sec quick changers and are simple in construction.GENERALLY
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM

I'm not for certain, but I think the Performers that are for Square bore won't take a spread bore, but the spread bore manifolds are drilled for both. At least, that's what the pictures on Summit's website seemed to show. I've got a Performer RPM Q-jet manifold, and I have a Holley bolted on it with no problem, I just used that thin little plate to seal up any gaps.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 AM

re: Which carb Quadrajet or Holley?

Try this place. They do both Q-Jets and Holleys. The order form will ask for some specs on your engine so it's built to your application

http://www.smicarburetor.com/
Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 PM

I'll see if I can find the web address for a guy in Mount Vernon, Ohio by the name of Cliff Ruggles, He can set you up with a Quadrajet that will outperform any other carb you could get and will set it up specifically for your application. Nothing wrong with a Holley as I prefer the spreadbores myself on my GTO, even though I'm running Quadrajets on both my GTO and my 400 powered 85 Grand Prix and as for the Performer you can run either a straightbore Holley or a spreadbore carb without any type of adapter. Myself as far as choice of intakes I prefer the factory iron, as they have performed better than anything I have run on my GTO, which is a street/strip car, but you should be fine with the Performer. Also for best performance and economy you may want to consider getting your HEI calibrated also. This will help with cold starts and drivablity. If you decide to go with a Holley run the 3310 750 vaccum secondary unit and get the spring kit and take a vaccum reading and get a power valve to correspond with the vaccum reading, normally half of the vaccum reading. Hope this helps as I have run Pontiacs exclusivly for over the past 20 years now.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Cobra Pilot

Good day,
I'm having Cliff build me a Q-Jet for my '81 Avanti. I sent him my old computer controlled Q-Jet and is building me a non-computer carb. I sent him all my motor and vehicle specs so he can custom build me a replacement Q-Jet. This is his e-mail address:

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/index.html

Good luck with your carb.
Everett.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Q-Jet. Or, if you are adventurous, try a Thermo-Quad. They were available with electric choke, provide 800 to 1000 CFM, and are very tunable. the best I can say about Holleys is you can have them.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM

Q-jet fan

Another vote for Q-jet. Those small primaries are great for cruisin. But when those huge secondaries kick in....look out! The sound and feel are like nothing else! Fuel injection is great, but it doesn't have the sound and feel of a q-jet.

Steve
Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 AM

most of the chokes need simple part changes

most chokes on a q jet can be upgraded very simple to an electric choke except for the divorced chokes you need to look for a q jet that is a 75 or newer but watch out for the ecm connections. i would go with a part number like17057266. look one of those up.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 AM

67, I have a Cliffs Quadrajet on a modified factory intake and its fantastic. Actually Cliff built my 462 but he's not building engines anymore.

I remove all the choke gear on my hot rods. Its not needed on a fair weather car.

Best to stay away from new (clone) carbs with the Pontiac engine.

I have a 9800 series Thermo-Quad but never needed to try it. I hear they run good on the Pontiac engine.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in