Cheaper Spray guns - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cheaper Spray guns

I am wondering about some spray guns. I am starting on a rocker panel. I need to spray primer, topcoat and undercoat. I found kits from california air tools, devilbliss and ir. Anyone have experience with these?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 07:43 PM

There are as many different preferences for guns as there are painters so the answers could vary widely.

For me, for primer, a $15-20 harbor freight or some derivative thereof works. If I drop it , crap it up, or let something kick in it there's no love lost. Not the most durable guns but will get you through a few projects and the 1.4 tip will shoot 2k primers just fine. I'm not a fan of putting primer in a topcoat gun.

That being said I'm pretty partial to Devilbiss equipment. A Starting Line or Finish Line gun is no Plus or Tekna but it will get the job done and there are service parts and gasket kits available for them.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster_G View Post
There are as many different preferences for guns as there are painters so the answers could vary widely.

For me, for primer, a $15-20 harbor freight or some derivative thereof works. If I drop it , crap it up, or let something kick in it there's no love lost. Not the most durable guns but will get you through a few projects and the 1.4 tip will shoot 2k primers just fine. I'm not a fan of putting primer in a topcoat gun.

That being said I'm pretty partial to Devilbiss equipment. A Starting Line or Finish Line gun is no Plus or Tekna but it will get the job done and there are service parts and gasket kits available for them.
I like the finish line gun.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave588 View Post
I am wondering about some spray guns. I am starting on a rocker panel. I need to spray primer, topcoat and undercoat. I found kits from california air tools, devilbliss and ir. Anyone have experience with these?
I actually own one of the CAT guns and love it. I bought the "techline" or whatever it is called years and years ago..probably about 07. It was the best gun I had bought and recently I put the reduced pressure air cap on it. HOLY COW does that thing spray nice.

There are a lot of good guns. I would strongly recommend avoiding HVLP and looking into reduced pressure instead. They moonlight under a few different names: RP, compliant, HTE.

I've not actually *used* the startingline gun mentioned, but I have played around with my neighbors. It definitely isn't as "nice" feeling of a gun and it looked like it had a propensity to build up material inside a bit. Avoid the Sharpe Finex stuff.

You can get an Iwata W400 Bellaria for just over $200 and screw a cup from harbor freight or ebay on it for a *very* nice high-end set up. I wouldn't run surfacer through any nicer gun -- that's what the harbor freight guns are for.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Ditto on the HTE vs HVLP. Much better atomization. Most Hte guns use less cfm then hvlp. Good if you're working with a smaller compressor.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwighty390 View Post
I actually own one of the CAT guns and love it. I bought the "techline" or whatever it is called years and years ago..probably about 07. It was the best gun I had bought and recently I put the reduced pressure air cap on it. HOLY COW does that thing spray nice.

There are a lot of good guns. I would strongly recommend avoiding HVLP and looking into reduced pressure instead. They moonlight under a few different names: RP, compliant, HTE.

I've not actually *used* the startingline gun mentioned, but I have played around with my neighbors. It definitely isn't as "nice" feeling of a gun and it looked like it had a propensity to build up material inside a bit. Avoid the Sharpe Finex stuff.

You can get an Iwata W400 Bellaria for just over $200 and screw a cup from harbor freight or ebay on it for a *very* nice high-end set up. I wouldn't run surfacer through any nicer gun -- that's what the harbor freight guns are for.
I thought I'd clarify one thing that I mis-spoke on:

The CAT gun that I have is "Coating Atomization Technologies" (C.A.T.) and NOT "California Air Tools."

I really don't see much about them in forums...I must be the only one that is a fan of them
Old 01-18-2019, 08:44 PM

I have a cheap gun for primer/surfacer. Got it for about $40 at the paint store. it has a 2.0 fluid nozzle.
For top coat I use Accuspray, with 0.9 fluid nozzle, and #7 air nozzle.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:38 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

astro makes good primer guns. You want 1.6-2.2 tip depending on what kind of primer you are spraying. Devilbiss makes great paint guns.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
astro makes good primer guns. You want 1.6-2.2 tip depending on what kind of primer you are spraying. Devilbiss makes great paint guns.
I'll toss this out if anyone decides to look at them.
I bought an Astro 2.0 tipped one a few months back. What came in the box was a Star branded gun stamped with an Astro part #. I can't say I'm entirely happy with the gun or the cup. The design and the quality of the machining where the needle resides in the handle is a little sloppy so as you pull the trigger back the needle pulls off the seat downward. If you have to gun wide open with a fair amount of air it does ok, but if you cut the fluid and air to sneak in, it sprays a little bottom heavy. I put a clean Harbor Freight cup on in I had.

I would have much rather preferred the older Sata knock-off style one which is what was pictured. Maybe I just got a bad copy IDK.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:44 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

wasn't sure about their newer guns. I know that they had a good primer gun a lot of shops used. I'd also suggest a Finex Sharpe. That thing has been to hell and back and at times look like it got dropped in a gallon of primer, yet still works as good as it did when brand new. Solid primer gun.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:19 PM
True Hotrodder

I have a Devilbiss FLG-4 for sale. 1.4 tip, guns's in great shape, clean. Only used it for two small spray jobs. Has a good fan pattern. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
wasn't sure about their newer guns. I know that they had a good primer gun a lot of shops used. I'd also suggest a Finex Sharpe. That thing has been to hell and back and at times look like it got dropped in a gallon of primer, yet still works as good as it did when brand new. Solid primer gun.
I *hated* the Finex that I had and gave it away. It had a narrow enough fan and small enough gun body that I would just about call it a mini. The particular one that I had also sprayed heavy on top, no matter what I did. It must have had a defective air cap.

I helped one of my buddies spray an old volvo in his garage once with a borrowed Matco (or Mac) gun. Guess what...it was a rebranded Finex. They come back to haunt me from time to time
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
True Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
I have a Devilbiss FLG-4 for sale. 1.4 tip, guns's in great shape, clean. Only used it for two small spray jobs. Has a good fan pattern. Let me know if you're interested.

$100 and free shipping to the lower 48.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,338 Times in 4,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
$100 and free shipping to the lower 48.
Chasracer, it is against forum rules to advertize or solicit sales on the forum.

With that said, I have the FLG4 set with 4 tips. 1.3, 1.5, 1.8, and 2.4. While I don't hate the gun, it has not impressed me either. Until I bought my Iwata 400LPH, I would reach for my HF purple gun for base or clear instead of the DeVilbiss. It always seemed to me the FLG4 was pretty much an air hog.

Since it has the big tips I will keep it for primer.

John
Old 01-22-2019, 01:45 PM
True Hotrodder

Thanks - so much for selling it here now.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in