check engine (light) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

check engine (light)

I have a 94 ford explorer "eddie bower" w/all extras. I can't
get "check engine" light to go off
I would to know if there are any threads that can shed some light on this problem. Any sugestions, directions, are

as always hotrodders BB is

jim dandy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Some Punk Kid

Whats the code? Have you had it scanned?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

yeah, fix the problem, and the light will go off after it self tests and realises it's working. it's throwing a trouble code, you could have it scanned, or there is a way to jump 2 wires in the OBD1 connector and have the check engine light flash the code, you will have to look this up tho, I can't remember what 2 1's to jumper togther.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
yeah, fix the problem, and the light will go off after it self tests and realises it's working. it's throwing a trouble code, you could have it scanned, or there is a way to jump 2 wires in the OBD1 connector and have the check engine light flash the code, you will have to look this up tho, I can't remember what 2 1's to jumper togther.
if it is a 1994 model shouldnt it be a OBDII. alot of times there might be anouther little problem that may have been over looked. have a scan ran on it and check the code then double check the part. some of these can be stupid little things. such a plug having 2 ports with only one connecting port simple fix was to put a extra wire that went no where in it to fix.i belive this was a commen problem with the dodge strauts and it was the check oil light on it. just using it as an example not a way to fix it so you know.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny

If you go to AutoZone, you can rent a code scanner. Thay will charge you the price of the scanner but when you bring it back, they will refund the full amount. Assuming you are OBDII.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Check engine light

I ran accross this on a Ranger site,it seams 94-95 Rangers & Explorers are prone to this: the MAF sensor gets the least bit dirty and it sets the lite off.Mine does the same stunt usually under hard acceleration and pings too,go to Checker or NAPA and you can buy a special aerosol MAF cleaner use it every 6 months should take care of problem! For more info on this see www.therangerstation.com
Old 02-03-2007, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: V8 suspension added

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
I ran accross this on a Ranger site,it seams 94-95 Rangers & Explorers are prone to this: the MAF sensor gets the least bit dirty and it sets the lite off.Mine does the same stunt usually under hard acceleration and pings too,go to Checker or NAPA and you can buy a special aerosol MAF cleaner use it every 6 months should take care of problem! For more info on this see www.therangerstation.com
Had that happen on the 97 T Bird (OBDII). Code said it was the O2 and Cats needed replacing. Then found out from the T Bird forum to check the MAF sensor, cause that could throw a downsteam code fault. Pulled the MAF out and had to look at it under a magnifier, but found it to be completely covered in crude. Have to be very gentle when cleaning, used a camel hair art brush and carb cleaner. Possible cause of the crude in my case was a new K&N air filter that may been over oiled.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny

Sometimes a bad CAT code can be a bad O2 sensor. O2 sensor's are a lot cheaper than a CAT replacement.

$.02
Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHebel
if it is a 1994 model shouldnt it be a OBDII. alot of times there might be anouther little problem that may have been over looked. have a scan ran on it and check the code then double check the part. some of these can be stupid little things. such a plug having 2 ports with only one connecting port simple fix was to put a extra wire that went no where in it to fix.i belive this was a commen problem with the dodge strauts and it was the check oil light on it. just using it as an example not a way to fix it so you know.
OBDII is 1996 up, pre 1996 is OBD1, Ford used it, a couple other manufacturs also used it, some used there own connectors tho, such as GM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in