Check engine light - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
My pipes are my music

Wiki Edits: 0

Check engine light

I came home at 4 AM to find a note form the wife that the "check engine" light had come on in my 03 Grand Prix. My first thought was she put gas in the tank Sunday afternoon so I went straight for the gas cap. Oh Yeah! on crooked and loose. Found out the blonde daughter with the smart phone can't get the cap on straight.
I put it back on correctly, fired up the engine and it didn't go off after 1 min. so I shut it off.
I told the wife to drive it to work and see if it would go off on the way and if it didn't I would disconnect the battery tonight and clear the code and was told was told "it won't" but alas!~ it did after 2 mi. of driving.

I believe it's a bad case of DINGBATINITIS. Guy's, That's one code that the computer doesn't register that you need to remember.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
... I would disconnect the battery tonight and clear the code and was told was told "it won't" but alas!~ it did after 2 mi. of driving.
Yeah, the OBDII cars have non-volatile memory and simply disconnecting the batter will not clear the codes. You need to use a scan tool to physically erase the codes. Now, some intermittent failures (like a loose gas cap) require either a certain number of start/stop cycles or actual driving to reset. Note that even though the light goes off, the code is still stored in memory as a history code for some period of time. Also, different severity of failures will illuminate the light permanently and some will only store a history code.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
My pipes are my music

I figured that if it went out it would still store the code. Not worried about that, it's the wife freaking out! My experience only goes to 88 with my F bird
but, My daughter has done it to herself and I heard about it after she went to AZ. Wether they scaned it or the guy checked the cap on his own I don't lnow but after finding out WHO put the gas in the car well, it's a gimmie!

Thanks for the heads up on the OBDII. Any more problems and I'll take it to the man with the scan.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check
Wiki Edits: 26

The Monitors that control the CEL run under certain predefined conditions. The GM ones run pretty regular, some others are almost impossible to run. We have vehicles here in MA that are OBDII exempt from the emissions testing because it can take weeks for the monitors to run. Late 90's Volvos are impossible. On your 03 pulling the battery will clear the codes for future reference.

Chet
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing

Quote:
I believe it's a bad case of DINGBATINITIS.
So that's what it's called. I have alot of that around my house but mine is more "DINGBATSPOUSEINITIS". I have found a cure for it though!!!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	53614  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
......I believe it's a bad case of DINGBATINITIS. Guy's, That's one code that the computer doesn't register that you need to remember.
Ha ha, I could use a dingbat code myself, with a wife and daughter.
(Hope they're not looking over my shoulder, or I'm dead meat... )

Some of the early OBD II codes can be erased by disconnecting the
battery for 15 minutes and opening the door, or turning the light switch
on. This allows for capacitors to discharge in the PCMs and erases the
KAM. At least this works on some Fords.....
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Hydrogen Burning Engine, YES !

Check Engine Light Trigger

On a Dodge Caliber, every time you rev up past the red line RPM limit, the check engine would come on. Had to do it on uphill acceleration (automatic transmission) so that's how I know. Maybe other manufacturers work the same ?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
The Monitors that control the CEL run under certain predefined conditions. The GM ones run pretty regular, some others are almost impossible to run. We have vehicles here in MA that are OBDII exempt from the emissions testing because it can take weeks for the monitors to run. Late 90's Volvos are impossible. On your 03 pulling the battery will clear the codes for future reference.
Between post #2 and yours, I'm getting mixed signals on the OBDII thing. Seems to me that a CE light and stored code for a pressure loss on the fuel vapor recirculating system would be a simple intermittent code that would cause the CE light to go off (which it did) after getting the cap on tight.

The way I see it, it went off and stayed off so I'm good with it. Let it store a code as long as the CE light ain't on, and the wife isn't freaking out. Mind you now, this is the woman that will call me on the cell phone and tell me the "change oil soon" light came on while driving to the grocery store 2 blocks away.

S10 Racer, That's some funny stuff there now! After 30 yrs of marriage ya just got to learn to live with it. Her cell phone died once and she charged it up overnight and I woke up to her stomping through the house PO'd because it wouldn't come back on.

That's when I showed her the trick to pushing the red button to turn it on!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in