Chevy Apache on 2 post lift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy Apache on 2 post lift

I bought a 56 Apache and am excited to get it home and begin working on it! I have a 2 post lift but haven't lifted older vehicles. Do you place the lift arms directly on the frame? Do you place the arms/pads in similar position as newer cars, directly behind the front wheels and before the rear wheels?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 03:21 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

On the frame, definitely. The body will not support the weight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 03:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

Pay attention to the weight distribution. Most older trucks are front heavy so moving the vehicle back on the hoist 8" to a foot from centered generally keeps them from being tippy.
Mark

Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 AM

I'm not sure exactly how the frame is on that truck in particular, but on most trucks if it's an asymmetric lift which is what I use, I drive the truck in so the dash to steering wheel is in line with the posts, the front arms are at a 90 degree angle and touch the frame where it flattens out just behind the firewall/ front cab mount area. The rear arms get extended and go as far back on frame as possible or if the wheelbase is short enough on the front leaf spring hangers for the rear axle. NOT the springs themselves.

If you're doing heavy work like pulling a transmission or suspension work with lots of prying and hammering you may want to put some tall jackstand under the rear bumper to keep the sway down.

If you have to pull a rear axle for any reason put a jackstand under the front bumper because the rear will get so light it may flip forward.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor

Welcome!

I thought for sure the GM Heritage Center Data would have had lift points specified for your '56.. but browsing through it I didn't see anything showing the actual lift points.

It does show vehicle weights and load distribution for each model. That data is useful in answering your question.

Here's a link, you may find some other interesting information there also: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

I've found that it becomes pretty obvious when locating lift points. You want the arms on the frame, as far forward and as far backwards, as possible. But they need to be on a flat level part of the frame. And frame engaging style lift arm adapters are preferred also.

Data below is for the Model 3604... again, not sure if that is the specific model you have? Good luck and post some photo's up here of your truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 Chevrolet Truck.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	433097  

Last edited by lakeroadster; 07-20-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:03 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)

probably is lake roadster as apache's didn't start until 58. frames are super flat, just use some common sense and you'l be fine
Old 08-04-2018, 03:39 PM

you may need truck adapters/risers if you dont already have them.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Welcome!

I thought for sure the GM Heritage Center Data would have had lift points specified for your '56.. but browsing through it I didn't see anything showing the actual lift points.

It does show vehicle weights and load distribution for each model. That data is useful in answering your question.

Here's a link, you may find some other interesting information there also: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

I've found that it becomes pretty obvious when locating lift points. You want the arms on the frame, as far forward and as far backwards, as possible. But they need to be on a flat level part of the frame. And frame engaging style lift arm adapters are preferred also.

Data below is for the Model 3604... again, not sure if that is the specific model you have? Good luck and post some photo's up here of your truck!
I wouldn't doubt it if they dropped that info because of legal reasons. The way things are written now a days is just crazy because of the law suits over stuff like this.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in