Chevy Crate Engine Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Teen Hot Rodder

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy Crate Engine Help

Alright, so I've finally decided what route I'm going to go with my Camaro. A new crate engine. I'm looking for a crate engine that will do well under a brand new Weiand 6-71 blower (10-12psi) and has roller cam, roller rockers, aluminum heads, hypereutectic dished pistons, and plasmamoly rings. Does anyone know where to find an long-block style engine that I can buy this summer with somewhat close specs as the ones I listed above? I have this engine from Blueprint Engines selected for now, it's just that the price tag is a out of range for me... If I have to, I'll go with that one, otherwise I'm looking for something a little cheaper that can withstand a blower like this one. Any comments? (Yes, I will be rebuilding the tranny and rear-end) ((This will be a daily driver because I don't care about gas too much, it's pretty cheap in north Texas right now, and I won't be racing it really, just a hot rod show-off kinda car))

Jon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 10:33 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,160 Times in 2,650 Posts
I can't point you in the direction of a certain crate motor or manufacturer, as I am not a crate motor guy, I'd prefer to spec and assemble my own...but I will give you a couple tips.

You don't need the added expense of a 383 stroker engine when you are planning to use a blower on it, just do a less expensive 350 and have the blower do the work, you'll still get all the power you need and far more than street tires and common street chassis set-up can put to the ground anyway.

Keep hyperuetectic pistons and blowers as far away from each other as possible, hypers have no business being in a blown engine and run a huge risk of giving you a total failure on just the slightest tuning or fuel hiccup...forged pistons only for a blower engine.

BDS(Blower Drive Service) is a better blower company than Weiand, you would be better off to go to them.

Scott Shafiroff Racing Engines is one builder I can point you to, a relative of mine has one of their 980hp 588" BBC stroker engines, it's a reliable beast and cost was decent considering how big it is. He's had it 5 years with no problems, and it thumps!

If this really is going to be driven daily, you might be better off with the Weiand or B&M 177/174 size blower with a single big carb, rather than a 6-71 and 2 carbs to deal with.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,800 Times in 2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildude24 View Post
Alright, so I've finally decided what route I'm going to go with my Camaro. A new crate engine. I'm looking for a crate engine that will do well under a brand new Weiand 6-71 blower (10-12psi) and has roller cam, roller rockers, aluminum heads, hypereutectic dished pistons, and plasmamoly rings. Does anyone know where to find an long-block style engine that I can buy this summer with somewhat close specs as the ones I listed above? I have this engine from Blueprint Engines selected for now, it's just that the price tag is a out of range for me... If I have to, I'll go with that one, otherwise I'm looking for something a little cheaper that can withstand a blower like this one. Any comments? (Yes, I will be rebuilding the tranny and rear-end) ((This will be a daily driver because I don't care about gas too much, it's pretty cheap in north Texas right now, and I won't be racing it really, just a hot rod show-off kinda car)Jon
10 psi on pump gas will require a 7.5:1 static compression ratio. 12 psi on pump gas will require a 7.0:1 static compression ratio and I don't see anyone that makes affordable parts to get there. SRP makes a forged piston with a 24cc dish and Airflow Research makes heads with 75cc chambers, but that will only get you to 7.9:1. Without hocking the farm, looks like you could be limited to 8 psi using 7.9:1 SCR. The 24cc piston with a 72cc head would make 8.1:1, so that could work with 8 psi.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

. X 3... don't recall seeing any suitable crate engines for your purpose... suggest asking BDS for a recommendation of somebody in your area... checking with local speedshops/racers... car shows/swaps... getting a shortblock built and adding your choice of heads... might consider using O-rings instead of head gaskets... or copper headgaskets...
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Teen Hot Rodder

Thanks guys, either that or can someone put together a basic parts list from Summit that I could use to do this with? Or at least specs of parts I would need? I definitely want a blower, aluminum heads, MSD Ignition, and whatever SCR I'll need to run the 10-12psi (that's what the Weiand kit I'm getting runs at)

Thanks for all of your help so far guys!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:19 AM

big al's toy box

is the company a friend got his super charged sbc from.. it dyno'd at 750hp and he put it in a Tbucket... yes i drove it ONCE and it scared me... he was in the $8k if i recall.. and plug and play. already broke in and ready to run.. and it ran !!!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Teen Hot Rodder

I'm looking to stay within a budget of about $12k right now. I will also be buying a new tranny and rear end, and will upgrade the chassis as well.... and exhaust....
Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

You realize with a static c.r. of 8.5 your effective c.r. with 12 #'s of boost will be 15.4:1? Definitely consider a water/meth injection system and BTM to pull timing. You shouldn't have to ask how I know that...

Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68NovaSS For This Useful Post:
Devildude24 (04-03-2015)

Tags
blown, chevy, crate engine, sbc, supercharged

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in