Choke light issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2019, 08:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Choke light issue

Hi new to the forum. I have been on Firebird nation with this and its not resolved. I have a 1980 FB 4.9L 301. The choke light will come on and off while driving. I have not correlated it with acceleration or deceleration or any other event. It just seems to come on for a min or two then go off for a few min.

I put on a new Alt. on advice from FBN. They said the diodes go out and the car sat for 35 years on a garage stuck in a trust. So it had to go to a shop to have a new AC comp. put on and I asked the guys to take a look at the choke issue.

They messed with the electric choke and then put on a new Alt. saying the one I replaced was bad. The light stayed off. I thought it was fixed.

Then I was replacing the fuel filter and noticed the electric choke wire was pulled off and tucked under it. I put some die electric grease on it and replaced it and next drive I am having the choke light go on and off again. So Two new alts and the issue is not fixed. I am wondering if it could be a bad relay? Any help appreciated thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Did you ever replace the choke?
Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Thanked 1,194 Times in 946 Posts
This is a commom problem on these cars, either the relay is bad or the alternator output is to dirty in tems of what the signal output.

Between what passes for quality these days for alternators and how good a 40 year old relay is, who knows? That said if you've been through the simpler but expensive alternator replacement a couple times with no improvement, you could suspect the relay.

Evidently no one in the past found the problem either. For all the stupid crap GM has done this system takes so called safety into the nonsense zone.

Bogie

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in