Classic Dash overlay - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2019, 05:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Classic Dash overlay

I've done a bit of searching around here and found some older threads related to this piece. Learned a ton along the way about how the dash comes out, wiring and such so that has given me a great head start.

My experience so far is that the fitment of the piece is alright. It's not great, but it's not horrible either. I've seen some say that they used a dremel to cut their dash out to fit this in there. I started with that, and it just wasn't cutting it. Pun intended. So I changed over to an oscillating tool like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FEIN-Sta...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cut through it like butter. Just in case anyone is experiencing the same things that I did. I did go back and clean up the rough edges with the dremel after.

I do have a question about this though. Now that I can sit the gauge panel down in there I see that it sits on the original dash just fine along the outside edges. In the middle section where there is still dash material left, the two don't exactly sandwich together well. Are they supposed to? Are people just using the provided screw holes to attach these things together? Or glue of some sort along with that? If using glue, are you clamping the two pieces together to let the glue dry so they stick together well? I'll post some pictures up here in case it helps to visualize what I'm talking about.

All I know is that once I have this thing back into the car I don't want to do this again for a while!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 AM

Last photo:

Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	443359   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	443361   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	443363  
The Following User Says Thank You to nazarah For This Useful Post:
silver74vette (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 AM

Looks great and thanks for the tip!

Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Last photo:

Thanked 3,989 Times in 2,413 Posts
I used to sell Coverlay brand dash caps at one place I worked. They all came with a tube of clear silicone for adhering them to the existing piece. Only installed one myself, on my 71 Ventura. Fit good enough to not need anything but they are not intended to look perfect or be un-detectable. Double faced attachment tape like what holds new car side moldings and such on can be used if theres enough old vinyl to stick to. Where there isn't is where the RTV silicone comes into play. I wouldn't call it a forever fix but depending on how much extreme weather the vehicle sees, it could last a long time. Sorry I'm not more help but maybe the RTV is the answer to your question. I have not messed with a dash like yours. Good luck with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
nazarah (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

Thanks! Appreciate any input. I thought about getting it held together by the screws and then using a very small amount of expanding foam but that could get ugly quick if a guy got carried away. RTV probably a far better solution.

The thing is, I'm not even 100% sure I need to do anything. Maybe once I get the screws in there it'll hold well enough that I'll never notice.

The actual top dash piece is in really good shape. I think the previous owner had replaced it at some point. So it's just the instrument cluster bezel I'm working with here.
Old Today, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

I tried it out using just screws over the weekend, seems to hold together quite well. I'm going to test fit it sometime this week to make sure it stays sturdy but that might be all it takes.

Have to run a new speedo cable as well. The one that came from the factory is the slip on type, and I need the screw on type for the AutoMeter mechanical gauge. Picked one up from NAPA on Friday that seems like it's going to work out well. If you ever are in the same boat, a cable for a 69 Camaro is close to the correct length with the correct ends on each side.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in