clearcoat confusion (metal flake) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

clearcoat confusion (metal flake)

Hello

Ive recently painted a fender just for practice before i do a full car minus the roof. I started by prepping, 2k primed, base coat silver, 2k clearcoat with a little metal flake in. I left the clear to cure a couple days then wetsanded with 2000grit to flatten back the clear an flake ready to spray another few coats of clear to get that real deep popping from the flakes. Now what im confused with is this is what ive been told is the norm for metal flake paint jobs to clear with flake, then flatten back an re clear, so i flattened with 2000 grit wet, rinsed clean an dryed then panel wiped an sprayed my further 3 coats of clear. Now its all dry an cured but ive noticed i can see the 2000 grit wetsanding scuffs from flattening through my further 3 coats of clear.
Confused anyone able to advise me on this would be great how should it be done?

Best regards nick

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 PM

On your first clear + metal flake session did you spray some clear without any metal flake in it over the flake? If not, I would imagine when you sanded you got into the metal flake in some areas which will discolor the flake and spread some of the metal dust into the scratches which would make them visible.

Does it have a hazy, dirty look to it?

Generally we recommend 1-2 coats of metal flake plus intercoat clear then 2-3 coats of topcoat clear (or candy) with no flake in it. Next day you can sand 1000 grit and add more clear as desired.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Hiya bud

thanks for taking the time to read, on my first session of flake an clear i did my tack coat with just clear then 15min later did my second coat with flake waited to flash 25ish mins, then just clear only i only wanted very little flake on the paint job hence only pass/coat, then again flashed an another coat of clear only, then allowed to cure for a couple days. Then i did my 2000grit wetsand im absolute certain i did not penatrate to the flake as it was very fine flake an had a couple wet coats on top that covered very well if not completely.

so then i rinse after sanding, clean allowed to dry then i panel wiped. Then i applied a further 3 coats of clear an finished. It is pretty smooth an like glass no haze at all very clear deep shine just very very fine scratches tat look to me like the 2000grit am i supposed to compound polish in between or something before goin over with the last 3 coats of clear or something

regards nick

Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Rick, you shouldn't have to compound between clear sessions. We do it regularly with coarser grit than what you used. I've sanded the first layer our clear with 500 grit then re-cleared before with no scratch tracking. Never used anything as fine as 2000 before though. Is it possible the scratches are under the color?

What products are you working with? I would expect most any clear to cover 2000 grit scratches so I'd be surprised if it has anything to do with the clear.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Hiya

I am from the uk so there uk brands its mipa clear an mipa hardener i was using, with jawel 2k thinners, this was air dryed/cured as im just a hobbiest the weather not great so i do use fast reducers an fast hardener/catalyst should the clear be thinned more than usual when your attempting to fill 2000grit wet as to just putting clear on un colour sanded base coat, for example my clear tells me to use 100% clear then 50% catalyst/hardener then i add 20% reducer should it be more diluted with reducer to fill the flattening marks. Or could it be curing too fast. An for the the scratches been under the colour they wasnt there before i re cleared so still abit confused

regards nick
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

I have to agree with "Thecoatingstore" on this one. Any scratches you are seeing are likely in the primer under the base coat. It is very common to wet sand with 600 grit or even a red scotchbrite pad whicih is supposed to be equal to 400 grit and clear on a spot repair with no scratches showing under the clear. 2000 shouldn't have left any visible scratches after the second round of clear coat, UNLESS the second round of clear caused lifting of the first round.

Kelly
Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
What grit did you sand the primer with???
Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

yeah, most likely the primer. Is it on the whole thing or just a random spot? You can also get a pretty nasty scratch from the edge of the paper but not bad enough to where clear can't cover it. Either the scratch is under the primer, on the primer, or if it's just in a random spot or two on the clear coat.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in