coilover springs ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2015, 06:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

coilover springs ?

i've got coilover springs on my 32 ford. but i'm not sure what will happen if i try to ajust them? right now the ajusting nut is at the bottom of the sprind. if i turn the ajusting nut up the spring so it pushes the spring together, will that lower my car or raise it???? seams to me that it would raise the car! and what will it do to the ride? make it stiffer or smoother? i want to lower the car and make it ride smoother, but the ajusting nut is at the bottom of the spring, so there is no ajustment to lower, right?? maybe you coilover experts can fill me in on the right ajustment? Thanks Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 PM

Coil over adjustments

Hi Ray,

Having gone through a coil over installation/conversion on a MII FE in a '38 Willys but not being an expert I'll say what I found out.

The shock rod in the center of the shock outer casing tells the story on adjusting a coil over shock. The total travel of the shock as measured by movement of the shock rod needs to be measured. You then determine at what position the shock needs to be at with a loaded car, people coolers etc. The adjusting nut can move the shock rod position allowing it to be at the correct position.

The correct position for the shock is when there is 60% of available upward travel, used when a bump in the road is hit. And 40% of travel available downward travel for when the car hits a hole in the road.

When you adjust the shock so you have the 60/40 position there is no way to lower a car because the correct adjustment of the coil over shock dictates the cars distance from the roadway.

I think the only way to lower a car is to install drop spindles or other modifications to springs, shock mounts, tire diameter, etc.

You also want the shortest shock body because that allows the lowest adjustment of the shock.

Our car has a MII Fe and when purchased it rode harsh. Using cable ties on the shock rod it was apparent the shock was bottoming out on the frame of the car. The standard coil spring was too short, this was done to lower the FE.

It was then determined the coil spring was too stiff for the weight of the car, again the spring was cut very short and that causes the spring to become very stiff.

There are Hotrodders posters out here that indicated we could have installed softer coil springs to solve the problem for less $$$ but we were already down the path to coil over installation with the shocks already installed but not the coil over springs.

Being that you already have coil over shocks all you need to do is weigh the front end of your car and make sure the coil springs are the correct strength and then adjust the shocks for the 60/40 split and your car will ride fine, ours does.

Make sure you follow the coil over shock instructions when adjusting the large nuts on the coil over shocks, we installed QA1 shocks and they require special wrenches to move the nuts AND insist on using anti-seize lubricant when moving the nut. Also make sure all the weight is off the shock when adjusting. Might be best to compress the springs if you can.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 09-19-2015, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the information Tim!!!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in