color sanding 3 yaer old clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

color sanding 3 yaer old clear

I picked up a 63 mg midget to restore just a few weeks ago, the previous owner stripped the car and painted it, then lost interest and it sat.
The paint is omni, the base coat is red and the clear is a urethane by omni (thankfully i got all the supplies so i know what he used), there is a few light runs in the clear and a few places that need some touch up (scratches and dings) my question is how tough do you think it will be to sand the clear and how decent is the omni stuff, i'm not looking for a show car but a really nice driver.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 05:31 PM

color sanding 3 yaer old clear

Hi
If you use wet sand paper (600-800) with water and a sanding block and you don`t sand through clear you should be able to maybe just buff it after. If you have to sand through the clear you will have to spot the clear then buff after .

As far as the scratches you have to feather edge (sand) the spots and repaint . If the dents are small enough you could sand the area with 320 dry sandpaper make sure you use automotive paper, Then use polyester putty (always use a sanding block when sanding putty), followed with paint and then the clear .
I don`t anything about omni paints . I`ve been in the autobody trade for 40 years but I`ve just retired after 26 years of working on city transit, back in the day I used Dupont or RM paints.

Hope this helps you
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 AM

I think Popstoy mean to say sand the runs with 600-800. Buffing ater this would be pretty much impossible. Need to get the sand scatches down further. Paint being this old may buff hard, so the finer paper is, the better (at least 2500 - maybe 3000). Depending on how many touch ups there are, might be better to just sand it all with 800, fix the spots and clear it all again, then sand and buff. It's a small car - not much material needed and may save time doing it this way.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in