Color Sanding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Color Sanding

I`m new here ,so hello
I paint as a hobby and am looking for some tips or ideas on color sanding.
I`m in awe of the smooth finish on some rods. I know the bodywork must be smooth ,but that paint is awsome.
Where do I start?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Wiki Edits: 21

This is one topic that has been covered in GREAT depth. Probably at least 1hr worth of reading material here. Start in the Knowledge Base (link at the top of the page). Then go to the Advanced option on the search button (in command line under the heading) and do a word search.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyg
I`m new here ,so hello
I paint as a hobby and am looking for some tips or ideas on color sanding.
I`m in awe of the smooth finish on some rods. I know the bodywork must be smooth ,but that paint is awsome.
Where do I start?
PATIENCE - IS the best thing to have!

Now write this down everyone...

A paint job is only as good as what is underneath!

The prep work has to be flawless - orange peel left in the primer compounds all the way out to the finish.

If you are using basecoat/clear coat - it is imperitive to get the basecoat applied as smooth as possible before applying the clear. Clear addes depth and will magnify orangle peel and imperfections in the base coat - especially a metallic.

Cut and buff or Color sanding is the final step and I usually go 1200-1500 and up to 2000 before polishing. Here it is an absolute must to NOT get any grit or otherwise between the sandpaper and surface.

When buffing you will a wool pad and a heavy cut compound first. MAKE SURE you get all the heavy compound off before moving to a light-duty compound and MAKE SURE you get all the light compound off before moving to a polishing pad and a final glaze to remove the swirls.

It's a ton of work to do it right and the part I hate most about doing paint work!

And I'll put this out there for everyone to look at... If you want a nice show quality paint job...do it in lacquer.

Urethane and Acrylic enamels will buff out - but there is just something about the makeup of the paint that does not allow it to have as flat of a look that lacquer gets. IMHO anyway!

Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Dog

And I'll put this out there for everyone to look at... If you want a nice show quality paint job...do it in lacquer.

Urethane and Acrylic enamels will buff out - but there is just something about the makeup of the paint that does not allow it to have as flat of a look that lacquer gets. IMHO anyway!
You can get the flat paint with urethane, but it requires you to cut with coarse paper after intial clearing and then re clear... most of the wave will be gone.. hit it with some 1000 then 2000, now some 4000 abralon sanding disc and buff it out flat as a flitter
Old 07-08-2006, 04:01 PM

I can vouch for what BondoKing has said. I sanded my first four coats of clear after they had cured for at least a month, applied four more coats of clear. I then block sanded wet with 1000, followed by 1500, then 2000. That was followed by an Abralon DA pad of 4000 grit. What I was left with was a dull sheen that required very little actual compounding, and when I hit it with the final glaze, it was awesome. As flat as any lacquer job I have seen.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in