Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Colour of epoxy primer
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yes it does matter if you are applying your basecoat color over the epoxy. Some of the newer colors have a lot of toners in them and are kind of transparent, as well is the cheaper lines of base not giving as good of coverage. It really depends on what tints and toners are in your color. Have the person mixing your paint look and see if it tells what shade of sealer to spray and try to at least come close to that. Dupont has valueshade, and ppg, can't remember the name, but they have the same thing. The last car I sprayed I was kicking myself for not using a sealer the right shade. I had light grey primer on most of the car, and the dark green original paint on the rest. It took me alot of time and material till you could not see the white primer areas were lighter. The dbc base normally covers pretty quickly, but the color he picked out didn't. Needless to say on parts I didn't paint yet, I sprayed a darker grey on to get them all one color and closer in shade. less coats, less hassle. Now you are spraying two different colors so I would say use a color to match the color that will be on the majority of the car. Hopefully barry will chime in here since you are going to buy spi.