Come On Man! - Page 355 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,606 Posts
The new trend to LED headlights are terrible. The light is so focused into a beam, that they are very bright, even on low. I've flashed a number of cars only to get blinded worse when they do turn on the high beams.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Grillin Randy

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Lets give them the benefit of doubt... maybe they are frantically searching the apple or google store for a free bluetooth headlight dimming alert app.

Some people are attached to their phones that much that they can't seem to do anything without them!
Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

nice chevy II, truck not so

Old 05-20-2018, 11:59 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,613 Times in 2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
The new trend to LED headlights are terrible. The light is so focused into a beam, that they are very bright, even on low. I've flashed a number of cars only to get blinded worse when they do turn on the high beams.
Another reason why I just don't flash. I don't honk either, for a good reason.

I know of no law regulating max output. I know of no law making improper aim or failure to dim illegal even if it causes wrecks and deaths. So since a loophole exists, I want to make a car with low beams so bright and so pointed at oncoming driver faces that everyone HAS to think I MUST have by brights on. So that they flash me and I can switch on an additional pair twice that bright then not turn them off. Ones you could fuse metal with, given a magnifying glass or projector lens. Enough to soften a spot on windshield glass at a long stoplight. Zero cares what happens because of it. I think aircraft or lighthouse technology may come into play. So we can get a death count rolling on the subject for lawmakers to notice. Note to the OEs: Headlights are bright enough. Move on, man!
Old 05-20-2018, 01:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

I drive my 6V 1950 plymouth all the time at night, or coming back after dark at least.. It is the one case where I actually use hi beam, and actually I leave them on high even with oncoming traffic, since they are as dim as a modern low beam. Otherwise I never use high beams
Old 05-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

This headlight thing is the primary reason I do not drive at night anymore. I used to love to cruze on a summer night but no more.

Like what was said previous is that the factory headlights when approaching you are so bright it washes out your vision so you can't see anyway. I really abhor these aftermarket lights that are bright white/blue and vaporize small animals at 200 ft and can be seen all the way to Pluto!!! You can't look away and save your vision or watch the fog stripe, because the light is so bright and focused on you!

These ultra high power headlight should be banned! Yeah it is nice to drive like it was bright sunny day but I have to think of the person that is approaching me. It is a double edged sword more or less. I guess I am really of the past times. I actually try and think of the other persons feelings and safety instead of yakking on my cellular phone with my newly installed vaporizer headlights. I spend very little time in my life thinking ME ME ME to hell with the other guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-22-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:52 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
I drive my 6V 1950 plymouth all the time at night, or coming back after dark at least.. It is the one case where I actually use hi beam, and actually I leave them on high even with oncoming traffic, since they are as dim as a modern low beam. Otherwise I never use high beams
I would do that but theres actually four lights which is a dead giveaway that I have my brights on. Instantly get flashed. I think four seperate lamps is best because hi can be aimed seperately from lo. Distance of filament to reflector changes a tiny amount with single lamps but thats it.

My 99 GP has the craptastic yellow plastic composites made by Comeonman. Once the chrome inside dulls, they are only useful as marker lamps. Like having candles. But others can see you. So I went for it a couple years back and just ran brights full time. Took a couple months for someone to flash me but then I quit. Got new now but they fall way short. Had to do some funny business in the relay box to get fogs to work with brights, too. Fogs are way brighter than the headlights.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
This headlight thing is the primary reason I do not drive at night anymore. I used to love to cruze on a summer night but no more.

Like what was said previous is that the factory headlights when approaching you are so bright it washes out your vision so you can't see anyway. I really abhor these aftermarket lights that are bright white/blue and vaporize small animals at 200 ft and can be seen all the way to Pluto!!! You can't look away and save your vision or watch the fog stripe, because the light is so bright and focused on you!

These ultra high power headlight should be banned! Yeah it is nice to drive like it was bright sunny day but I have to think of the person that is approaching me. It is a double edged sword more or less. I guess I am really of the past times. I actually try and think of the other persons feelings and safety instead of yakking on my cellular phone with my newly installed vaporizer headlights. I spend very little time in my life thinking ME ME ME to hell with the other guy.
I have a 36" fresnel lens from a projection TV and have often wondered if I could use it to fuse some soup cans together using a late model DRL as the energy source.

There is a new intersection near home with all sides angled to perfectly position projector lamps on the eyes across the intersection. I cover my eyes with a hand and peek at the traffic light between fingers, its absolutely insane...

unless you drive an SUV. This may be the root of the problem... roads, intersection approach angles, traffic control device sensors, and standard traffic etiquitte have all been modified to accomodate high profile vehicles. Only. The fact is that nobody's headlights should aim into anyone's passenger compartment. Infrastructure your way around that one!

The fresnel lens thing reminds me... my bro once had a few dozen extra peizo tweeters sans horn. He created about a two foot square flat panel made of tweeters. It was nonsensical until he pointed it directly at you. Then you went "Ow!" and turned away. It didn't have to be loud to be felt on the eardrums. How handy would that be at a stoplight where everyone is enjoying having their fillings loosened by gangster rap in a language from another continent flowing from the donk in the next lane?
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM

My brother in law works at a truck parts supply company. He has a great sense of humour. He's installed in his standard every day driver car, bright spot lights and also a truck horn that sounds like a train horn. He has a compressor under the bonnet. He gets a kick out of blinding cars that flash him. Also likes to blast the horn at people in car parks etc.

Later gator
Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to whinny For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

A friend of my cousin used to drive a jeep that he had a few 'extra' lights on. He had some of those "KC Daylighter" lights lined up across his bumper and across his roll bar. I don't know how many, but it was BRIGHT. He would run around with his high beams on, and when he got flashed, he would unleash all of that KC daylighter fury on the poor souls in the oncoming lane. He was kind of a jerk, even before that, I think. Seems like he had to install a 2nd battery and 2nd alternator to run them all at once. Been a long time... about 30 years, give or take, so the details are a bit fuzzy.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Grillin Randy

I like the car but those wheels, yuck!

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashFarmer2 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-21-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2 View Post
I like the car but those wheels, yuck!

Ya them wheels are definitely a no no on that car.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 PM

My neighbour told me he saw a rare falcon in the local park, I went and had a look.

Later gator
Russ
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1527048812
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	426897  
The Following User Says Thank You to whinny For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-22-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 05:19 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinny View Post
My neighbour told me he saw a rare falcon in the local park, I went and had a look.
Later gator
Russ
Someone braved the whomping tree to steal the rear wheels and brakes...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
whinny (05-23-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Grillin Randy

OK

Tags
automotive photography, humor

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in