Compressor repair question. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2016, 02:00 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one
Wiki Edits: 0

i am going to ask you to also... verify that your tank is NOT full of water... i have seen that happen in shops... over 50 gallons of water in an 80 gallon tank.. the guys who were assigned to drain the tank opened the valve at night to drain it.. nothing came out so they closed it.. figured it was a magic compressor..

that the check valve from the pump output tube into the tank is NOT leaking back..

air compressors also have a rather short life span on their compressor oil...

i seem to recall it was only 25 hours of run time between changes..

if a compressor is really run hard... it might run 25 hours a week..

it is also usually NOT conventional motor oil .. its usually non detergent.. or special oil from the local air compressor supplier..

and quincy pumps are indestructable.. when the gas station i worked at closed.. the 10 horse 3 cylinder quincy had been supplying air to a shop that was open from 7 am till 10 pm and 4 lanes of full service with 4 gas pump jockeys 18 hours a day and 2 for the last 6 hours midnight to 6 am.. it cycled on every 5 to 10 minutes from 1941 to 1993... without anything but compressor oil changes.. air filter changes.. belt changes every 5 years..

edit.. you might also want to redesign your compressor to tank pipe.. do you have flaring tools for that size... can you go left 90 degrees.. down 90s... right 90... so there is some expansion and contraction in that tube.. or put in a flex coupling.. and i really don't see the tank check valve either..

double edit..

can you get a better picture of the info on the top of the compressor pump or info off the sides.. i can see made in USA... but nothing else..

Advertisement

Last edited by 69612; 05-14-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 02:10 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,266 Posts
When's the last time you heard the double bell when you ran over the signal hose? Probably just before the attendant ran out to get your windshield.

BB

(Extra Bonus)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	301074  
Old 05-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
When's the last time you heard the double bell when you ran over the signal hose? Probably just before the attendant ran out to get your windshield.

BB

(Extra Bonus)
no.. i worked in the shop.. i did cover the guys for lunches when the normal lunch guy did not show up..

each guy had his own lane.. and there was almost always at least 2 cars in line for each lane.. under the hood check. tire check.. clean the windows.. pump the fuel..

Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have an old stand up 80 gal 5hp compressor. It has lost it's umph and has gotten so that it can't keep up with event he smallest tool. It will pump up to 100 lbs or so and then when you use that air in the tank it starts pumping and simply can't keep up with a die grinder. It takes a long time to pump up to the 100 of course too.

I am thinking it simply needs a pump, everything else works fine.

It has a twin cyl side by side pump. Over at HF they have two pumps, one that looks just like the one it has that they call a "3hp" pump, no we aren't talking about the motor, we are talking about the pump.

And then the "5hp" pump which is a V twin.

And for some reason they have a few of each with different part numbers that I can't for the life of me figure out the differences.

Air Compressor Pumps at Harbor Freight Tools

Why does mine look like "three horse power" pump? I like the more output of the V twin, not sure if it will fit on mine, I didn't check that. Neither bolt on as the bolt pattern is different.

What do you think?

Brian
Before scrapping it remove the flap valves and put your thumb over the hole to see if its making compression.
Most of the time its a stuck flap valve in the head.
there is also a one way valve that lets air in the tank but not out and back to the head. and last remove the head and place something flat over it like a piece of plexi glass to see if the rings are bad if they are it wont make compression. I wouldn't throw that out rings arn't expensive and usually something like dirt will plug up a valve holding it open and all you need to do is clean them. It could even be as simple as a clogged air filter

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-05-2016 at 05:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,712 Times in 4,311 Posts
Thanks, I haven't done a single thing since I posted this thread! That is what I will do first.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in