Conditioning disc or strip disc? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2018, 04:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Conditioning disc or strip disc?

When to use either? I have several bags of conditioning discs (coarse) and am almost out of strip discs. The conditioning discs seem to be a cross between sanding and a strip disc? They sure work well and I find them a bit faster and easier in getting old paint & primer down to bare metal. I assume you still need to sand the bare metal with the appropriate grits prior to primer?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 05:07 PM

Ok what are you doing?

Generally you can chemical strip then wet sand which saves tons of paper and time.

But you don't want to run chemicals with or near some things like aluminum or a painted vinyl top.

Yes you want to go down to bare metal and transition into the paint that will give the primer something to stick to.

For small repairs start with 80 grit to get down to metal and then move up to 120 and 320 transitioning out.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:35 PM

It's on a steel car shell. Most of it is already media blasted, sanded or stripped (by strip disc) to bare metal. Just finishing off the balance of cleaning the last of remaining paint out some of the outside panels. Am getting it ready to prime in a couple of days.

The conditioning discs have AO in them which does "condition" the metal and leaves scratches which is good, but not sure how much further sanding it needs. Will be pushing it outside tomorrow or Monday to finish a little media blasting that a disc won't work on like welds.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,779 Times in 2,837 Posts
Without knowing just what kind of discs you have there its tough to give specific input but whether I use a variety of abrasives on bare steel or just one... an orbital sandscratch follows. 80 grit on a DA sander, everwhere it can get to. On inner panels and stuff with many tight contours, the little 3" orbital angle sanders work like A DA and go well using just continuous roll paper like for blocking. I don't own one of those so am known to hand sand into corners and such. Even a red scuff pad, while it pretty much leaves no scratch, does help clean such areas. Heck, I have even just rolled up a scuff pad and chucked it in a drill before, so its whatever reaches.

But inevitably, there will be places where aside from blasting, only conditioning or strip disc abrasion is possible. Those are OK but the orbital 80 grit scratch is generally considered optimal to finish steel with. Personally, I prefer to sand thoroughly with 40 grit on a DA then follow with the 80. 40 DA is great for knocking off old paint and moderate amounts of filler too.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

when I hear the word strip disc I'm thinking super fast RPM and warpage.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
when I hear the word strip disc I'm thinking super fast RPM and warpage.
Talking about "cookie" discs I believe?

To OP, I use 80g cartridge rolls on a die grinder speed turned down to get in tight spots and little nooks and crannnies. A bag of one grit and an anvil is not terrible expensive and pretty handy to have and what works for me
Old 09-23-2018, 09:51 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Rice patties aren't that bad.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,779 Times in 2,837 Posts
Now I'm hungry again. Pass the cookies, keep the patties. Are there any of those mule hide wafers left?
Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 PM

I bought some stuff from Empire and got a chance to try it this weekend. Among things, I got the blue Black Hawk Stripping Discs for both 4.5" and the 2" roloc. That material is awesome. I did a little experimentation on the tractor bucket. I think one 4.5" disc and a day, and I can have the tractor bucket ready for a finish Scotch-Brite and then epoxy primer.

The 4.5" disc is $5,

I also got some red conditioning pads, and used one of them to prep a car for touch-up work.

Also, Empire has flap discs with different grades of Scotch-Brite like material on them. I got one ($7) but cannot report on it, as I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Empire is almost to metal abrasives like Klingspor Woodworking is to wood abrasives. Well, maybe not close, because Klingspor has a fantastic selection of quality products, but I was impressed with my small Empire order.

Last edited by Crosley; 11-23-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: URL Link removed
Old 11-23-2018, 04:04 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,837 Times in 4,065 Posts
Just do not finish your bare metal with conditioning pads. The are way to fine and do not leave a good "tooth" for your primer. As said above, you need an 80 grit DA scratch pattern on your bare metal.

John
Old 11-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,306 Posts
Yep, John, you are right on there, it's like they are polishing the surface.

I am not home right now so I can't post the pictures of the stripping test I did using a number of different products that I started to put together to post but never did. The stripping discs like "hamburger" discs do an AMAZING job, as long as you use them like you would sand paper, CUT CLEAN and don't spend forever with it rubbing on the metal heating it.

I have been doing a lot of this on my truck parts and it's damn amazing how good they work over sanding, that is for sure!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (11-23-2018)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in