contamination in my clear, what happend??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

contamination in my clear, what happend???

I am testing a candy paint on an old hood. i sprayed the base and then the kandy. Since i am not painting in a paint booth i wanted to test a panel out and try to wetsand any junk that landed in the kandy and then clear over it. My test was to just sand part of the panel and leave the rest alone and then clear over it. I wanted to see if by sanding a panel would affect the appearnce of the finished product, compared to the area not sanded. Well I sanded the kandy with 2000 grit just enough to get the junk out and that was it. My goal wasnt to take all/any orange peal off, it was just to lightly skim the junk out. Well the I sprayed the clear and the area i sanded came out great, no issues with varied color or anything like that. But the problem i had was the area that i didnt wetsand had lots of fish eyes. Some how it seemed contaminated. I did use a W&G remover before clearing, i dont think that was it because the part that i sanded came out excellent.

I used HOK base, candy and dupont 7900 clear.

I am working on getting my garage as clean and dust free as possible and i will have lots of exhaust with a filtered intake when it comes time to paint, i am hoping i will not have to wetsand at all between the kandy and clear, but if somthing happens i want to be prepared and have an option without stopping and redoing it all over again for it to only happen again.

Does anyone have any ideas what happend? Was it because i didnt wetsand the other area too? I figure that would just cause a durability issue, not fish eyes?

Thanks in advance....
Troy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Sounds like solvent pop more than fisheyes, the area you sanded released more solvent with the broken surface than the area that wasn't sanded, when you shot the clear on the solvents came out and disrupted the surface. or it could be contamination but not likely if it didn't happen over the whole panel. Doing test panels a person usually rushes and ignores flash times causing more trapped solvents-at least that happens to me now and then.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Sounds like solvent pop more than fisheyes, the area you sanded released more solvent with the broken surface than the area that wasn't sanded, when you shot the clear on the solvents came out and disrupted the surface. or it could be contamination but not likely if it didn't happen over the whole panel. Doing test panels a person usually rushes and ignores flash times causing more trapped solvents-at least that happens to me now and then.
When i sprayed the clear, the area that wasnt sanded never flowed right from the first coat. The first coat was just a little heavier than a dusting, very fast/light coat. After the firts coat i saw the fish eyes so i let it dry to the touch. 2nd and 3rd coats were full wet coats and i let it sit for 25 min between coats. About an hour after the 3rd coat was sprayed the part that i didnt sand flowed out better, but very orange peely....

The base sat over 24 hours before the kandy was sprayed and the kandy sat 40 hours till i wetsanded with 2000 grit and sprayed the clear.

I am pretty shocked this happend.

Last edited by Mustangous; 01-22-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 AM

I agree with Bob, solvent pop would be my guess. It is not uncommon to see solvent pop when re-clearing if not enough time is allowed for previous coats to gass off. BarryK solved an issue I had with solvent pop by telling me to leave the freshly sanded area in the sun for the day. You should have re sanded the whole area you were going to re-clear also.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in