Cordless impact wrenches - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
My compressor only supports 3.3 cfm at 90 psi, so its borderline adequate to support an air impact wrench for even short periods of use.

Instead of upgrading my compressor and buying an air impact wrench, I've been looking at this Milwaukee lithium-ion brushless battery operated impact wrench.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-20/300955532

Any input on how well this brushless electric impact wrench would work for automotive projects?

Most of my upcoming projects will be working on the steering, suspension and front-end of my '75 truck, since there are a lot of components that need replacement. I'm going to be breaking loose tie rods, ball joints, and other parts that have been mounted for over 40 years.

Thanks,

Bruce
If you are going to do any body work you are going to need air and a lot of it .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

might want to try to get everything on line. I got everything from different sources. Charger only $15 and around $50 for battery. Impact from Tool topia. Charger and battery on ebay. everything brand new. $200 for everything. No battery issues.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 AM

Aren't the" Discount Tire company" Stores and its branches using cordless impact .50 drive. Theirs run steady day in and day out.Thats where i would find out on an impact ;......that cuts off the air.and electricity part of the equation.

I'd buy one tomorrow hth bob s

Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 AM
put up or shut up

they use snap on or Milwaukee. the older Snap on ones are popular. When making a lithium purchase the focus should be on battery life. All the tools out there are pretty good and we can look up Ft LBS and not many compare to Snap On or Milwaukee for ft lbs and battery life. Milwaukee just gives you more bang for your buck. The Other cheaper brands don't compare in ft lbs. Trust me, go with Milwaukee. You can use air tools once you get wheels and a working suspension on em.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Wiki Edits: 11

My brother in law was able to put Snap On's big 1/2" up against the Mac Tools/Milwaukee 1/2" and said that the Milwaukee was no match. The Snap On could bust bolts that the Mac couldn't budge. Over and over.
BUT...price one of those Snap On's. I've bought cars for less.
Performance per dollar, Milwaukee wins for the hobbyist budget though. (Many pro's buy them too)The Fuel version is better by a bit than the non-fuel No reason to not use the Fuel. Price to performance winner, you just have to get used to the limitations. Don't get upset that it won't take off everything, just realize that it's really good when used within its limits.
I don't even use the 1/2" electric versions. I use 3/8" drive. Lots of things they won't get off but a lot they do and sometimes surprise me. I love that there's no air hose and so much quieter. I never really liked air ratchets and kind of resisted using them for years. Finally tried an electric ratchet and am sold. I've worn one out. No hose or screaming noise. Sometimes will break loose bolts, sometimes not. I don't care, once broken they spin out wonderfully. Not sure what I like best, electric ratchets or impacts.

I see a lot of older version battery tools on Ebay for cheap. Whole buncha nope. They have a limited life span. If you buy tools that were used by somebody that used them every day, like a pro mechanic, they aren't worth having. At all. Catch a sale or discount code code and buy new, whichever kind you get.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:05 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

I already had my truck half apart, and got tired of breaking bolts loose and spinning nuts off rusted bolts by hand, so I just picked up one of the $100 Ryobi cordless impact kits at HD (impact driver, 4 amp battery, and charger).

The Ryobi handled every bolt and nut without any issue, and some of these bolts have been on the truck since it was built in 1975. I'm sure its not the same power and quality as the more expensive tools, but it got me through a project without spending so much money right now. For a hobby car guy, I'd say its a great value.

Bruce
Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 AM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
My brother in law was able to put Snap On's big 1/2" up against the Mac Tools/Milwaukee 1/2" and said that the Milwaukee was no match. The Snap On could bust bolts that the Mac couldn't budge. Over and over.
BUT...price one of those Snap On's. I've bought cars for less.
Performance per dollar, Milwaukee wins for the hobbyist budget though. (Many pro's buy them too)The Fuel version is better by a bit than the non-fuel No reason to not use the Fuel. Price to performance winner, you just have to get used to the limitations. Don't get upset that it won't take off everything, just realize that it's really good when used within its limits.
I don't even use the 1/2" electric versions. I use 3/8" drive. Lots of things they won't get off but a lot they do and sometimes surprise me. I love that there's no air hose and so much quieter. I never really liked air ratchets and kind of resisted using them for years. Finally tried an electric ratchet and am sold. I've worn one out. No hose or screaming noise. Sometimes will break loose bolts, sometimes not. I don't care, once broken they spin out wonderfully. Not sure what I like best, electric ratchets or impacts.

I see a lot of older version battery tools on Ebay for cheap. Whole buncha nope. They have a limited life span. If you buy tools that were used by somebody that used them every day, like a pro mechanic, they aren't worth having. At all. Catch a sale or discount code code and buy new, whichever kind you get.
I like my cordless ratchet better but that's cause I use it more. Love the cordless impact too. My buddy just got a milwaukee brushless 1/4" ratchet and it works amazing. I'd say for production work the one I have is perfect and don't need anymore ft lbs or bolt heads might start flying off, but for restoration a 3/8" version of the brushless fuel ratchet would be a lot better. I think it just came out. My buddy is thrilled with its performance. He also got the 1/2" fuel impact too. He told me he saw mine and had to have them but he got the better ones.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in