Cordless impact wrenches - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2017, 04:23 PM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement
Wiki Edits: 0

Cordless impact wrenches

My compressor only supports 3.3 cfm at 90 psi, so its borderline adequate to support an air impact wrench for even short periods of use.

Instead of upgrading my compressor and buying an air impact wrench, I've been looking at this Milwaukee lithium-ion brushless battery operated impact wrench.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-20/300955532

Any input on how well this brushless electric impact wrench would work for automotive projects?

Most of my upcoming projects will be working on the steering, suspension and front-end of my '75 truck, since there are a lot of components that need replacement. I'm going to be breaking loose tie rods, ball joints, and other parts that have been mounted for over 40 years.

Thanks,

Bruce

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

If you're pulling the trigger and letting it hammer away, until things come loose.

Try short rapped burst, about 3 sec in duration, it will muster up some more torque, and ease the load on the compressor. Once the nut moves you can spin it off, with 1 trigger pull.

I have found using the impact I have works better using the method I describe

Greg
Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 PM
I bleed FORD blue!

I've got a Porter Cable, it takes the hex bits that a lot of tools use. I was surprised at how strong it is, first time I used it on some 1/4" bolts I stayed on the trigger a bit too long and twisted them off! Found out I had to use the good socket bits, it will twist the cheap ones off like they were made of paper. I bought a set of 1/4", 3/8". and 1/2" to use with my sockets. It easily removed the intake and exhaust manifold bolts on my 302. I'm a believer they have a place in your tool box. Heck, my favorite wrecker driver has taken the driveshaft U joint straps off of my semi with one like you pictured, so it has to be good.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: GTO Reproduction Hood

Get an acetylene torch ...
Old 12-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: GTO Reproduction Hood

Not being flip Bruce.
An acetylene torch will heat fast and "Loosen " just about any bolt/nut you need removed.Rusted, too tight, or just setting for years,......nothing works like a torch man.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

I got the regular one not the fuel one. I think mine has less torque, but with a full battery it will break loose lots of bolts. Never had trouble with lugs but did have trouble with an axle nut but the battery was low. With the Extended batteries I hear they're more powerful. Amazing tool. You might want to pick up their corder less ratchet as well. for restoration 3/8" would be perfect. I have the 1/4". Both those tools have been a valuable asset for me. The batteries are great too and if you also get the ratchet they make a charger that can charge both in 15 minutes for $15. you won't be disappointed but don't expect it to break everything loose, but the hammer does come in handy if you wait with the trigger pulled.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 PM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch

Cool

The Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" cordless impact is, IMHO, hands down the best cordless impact out there! It should handle most anything you throw at it. With that said, if you run across that suspension piece that's welded together with 40 years of rust and the impact just won't break it.........there's always the hot wrench!

BTW, that HD link you posted is for the tool only. You're gonna need batteries and a charger. If you've got a Milwaukee cordless platform and those pieces are in your box, great. If not, the whole kit runs about $350.

It's best to have 2 batteries so you can use the tool while the other batt is charging. Ask me how I know!
The Following User Says Thank You to evintho For This Useful Post:
tech69 (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 PM
put up or shut up

I was lucky to get the non fuel one, a charger, and two batteries for $200. Might want to consider that. Also, no need to get a charger with two 18V ports cause you'll be using one while the other one charges. I already had the cordless ratchet so it made sense to get the one that charged 18v and 12v. Gotta say, my experience with Milwaukee lithium has been night and day compared to the Makita nightmare I had in the past.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 PM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
My compressor only supports 3.3 cfm at 90 psi, so its borderline adequate to support an air impact wrench for even short periods of use.

Instead of upgrading my compressor and buying an air impact wrench, I've been looking at this Milwaukee lithium-ion brushless battery operated impact wrench.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-20/300955532

Any input on how well this brushless electric impact wrench would work for automotive projects?

Most of my upcoming projects will be working on the steering, suspension and front-end of my '75 truck, since there are a lot of components that need replacement. I'm going to be breaking loose tie rods, ball joints, and other parts that have been mounted for over 40 years.

Thanks,

Bruce
I bought myself the Milwaukee Fuel drill and impact set about a year and half ago at Home Depot and have used the crap out of the 1/4 " impact driver and the drill both. I bought a hex adapter set for the impact driver for 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sockets and it will surprise you at what it will break loose. I have taken the impact driver with me to the salvage yard a few times and it has saved me lots of time taking loose used parts and I don't have to load an air compressor in the back of my truck when I go.
My kids surprised me for my birthday and gave me a 3/8" fuel impact and then for Christmas they got me a battery powered 1/2" impact from Sears. I must have been a lot better that I thought I had been, before Christmas. LOL!
I haven't used either of my air impacts in a long time now, because it is so much easier to just grab the battery powered ones off the wall and go to work.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

We use them too. Good stuff
Old 12-29-2017, 12:10 AM
put up or shut up

I read it a couple times...yes, I agree. It's not just for outdoors, it will actually replace some of your air tools. I work with an air hose within reach but strictly use my cordless ratchet. no more bulky hoses. So much better. Sure I will need batteries but I've used them everyday for 8 hours a day about 8-9 months and no sign of slowing down. Already sold my 1/4" air ratchet as I didn't feel I needed it anymore.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:02 AM

Lots of great comments.

I do realize that the price is for only the drill, so I will be in for about $350 to get the tool, charger and one battery, even after I get a 10% military discount at the local HD. I also need to buy a set of deep impact sockets, since the old sockets I have are all regular depth. I just need to decide if I want to spend the money.

I didn't think about using the 1/4" and 3/8" wrenches for body work and other projects, but that sound like a good idea to check out.

I think can get the bolts loose without an impact wrench, but its a slow process with a breaker bar, and I'm working outside. To replace ball joints I need to pull the hubs and axle shafts (Dana 44), and I could never fit my truck in the garage and still have space to pull out the shafts.
With my small garage, I need a Mazda Miata for a project vehicle, not a 3/4 ton truck .

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 12-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.

It's been 10 years so I don't remember the brand... I bought a Ford 9" off a guy, when I got there to load it, it still had the springs on it along with the inherent 40 years of rust and dirt. When the guy came out with a cordless impact I almost laughed, but darned if that little "toy" looking thing didn't bust all 8 of those spring hanger nuts off in a few short minutes. I was duly impressed!

Russ
Old 12-29-2017, 11:55 AM

I've got an 18v. brushless Makita drill/driver/impact with 2 4 AH batts. Almost broke my wrist with it several times.......... I guess that's why they give the long handle to hang on to the thing. They are all good, get the best you can afford and take care of it, last a long time.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:57 PM

I haven't bought anything yet, but when I was at HD yesterday I found that they have the Ryobi impact wrench kit, with 4 amp battery and charger, for $99. The Milwaukee M18 Fuel brushless is $189 for the tool and $149 for the 5 amp battery and charger.

The Ryboi is not brushless, but from what I've been able to find, its a relatively decent 18 volt impact wrench. The only common complaint seems to be the battery, which is not isolated well from vibration, so it sometimes loosens up when you are using the wrench.

Now I have to decide whether its worth it to spend $340 for the Milwaukee (much better tool) or $100 for the Ryobi (works fine).

Bruce

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in