Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cost and type of paint at Maaco
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Wiki Edits: 1

Get the quote in writing, as far as what they will do for what price. My stepdaughter had a Honda that hit a deer, I replaced the hood, fender and fron valance. Prepped everything, color sanded the rest of the car, did a little bodywork. My wife got a coupon out of the daily newspaper, $299 for a complete, one coat paint job. Now the Mgr. starts with "That's one coat, you should have 2. I won't guarantee the job if we don't seal the body before painting. We will wipe it down, that's it."

My wife told him that's what we wanted, the car wasn't worhth an expensive paint job, we were footing the bill. It came out fine and the new owner still has a nicely painted car.

Their painters paint everyday. They don't have time to repaint, that means no runs, dry spots, etc. They are probably some of the finer painters in your area, specially if they are dong some restos. Find out first what you are getting for the money, if you can save a few bucks by sanding yourself (Probably not, min. wage workers will knock that out in an hour or two). How many coats, guarantee, they have a few standards for quality of paint, like good, gooder and gooodest. Just make sure you are getting your moneys worth with NO surprises. $1800 is not a bad price. Prep is 90% of any paint job.