custom LED's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 08:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

custom LED's

Does anyone know where to buy or how to make custom LED brake light's? I was wanting to do a custom third brake light but want to stay away from the ordinary "bowtie" design.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 12:04 PM

Check out it site.
http://www.hitechledproducts.com/

I got this from a different site

Quote:
The basics are to start with a pattern in the shape of the lamp. trace that onto the fender. Cut it out with whatever metal cutting device you have handy. remember its better to cut it too small to start and have to trim than to cut it too big have have to weld up the hole. once it fits nice you can glue the lens in with a structural 2 part epoxy (sem or fusor brand), tape it up for paint and then untape and clear over it (dont forget to sand the lens though so the clear sticks). or you can just attach it to the backing of the lamp and make it removable.
Joe
Old 06-30-2004, 12:20 PM

thanks for the input but....I need to know how to make the actual light.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Are you wanting to go to Radio Shack and buy 50 LED bulbs, a circuit board make it from scratch ?

The Link I posted sells the flush mount lights. you cut a hole epoxy their lights and lens to the inside of the hole.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:50 PM

I would buy them if I could specify the layout, otherwise yes, I am looking to make my own. I am going to flush mount it just below the back window of my 48 chevy pickup.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:02 PM

try http://www.lambertenterprises.com/

How big are you going to make it.
hitechledproducts.com/ has strips of two rows of LED, lambert has cards with leds, in round, square and rectangle.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM

the leds themselves wont be a problem I think, afterall all leds are is miniature lamps!
so all you need to do is run a wire from your brake lights to the spot you want to install the leds.
only problem (a small one tough) is to figure out what resistor you will need. I think you know leds are low voltage thingies so conecting them straight to 12 volts would make them burn out instantly
if hooked up in serie you can get to 12 volts whitout a resistor (similar to some christmas tree lights working on 110 but the lamps are only 6 volt.
ask the salesman about it, I'm sure he can help ya.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Vise jaws

Check this forum to post the question HERE You might have to sign up but you'll get an answer to your LED question. Some electronic gurus on there.

Kevin
Old 06-30-2004, 09:40 PM

I wanted to do the same thing you did (make your own LED tail lights) because I saw on www.cardomain.com a guy made really cool custom LED tail lights for a third gen camaro ( http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/274135 Look about half way down the page ) I'm still working on mine because I don't have a whole lot of free time and I have the stock tail lights anyways, so it's not a big rush to get mine done. What I finally did was go to http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/LEDlight.html and looked at these. These are for bicycles so obviously yours will be a little different, but she gives a lot of good information on making them and what volt resistors and what you will need for how many lights, and the source voltage and what not. Hope this helps you out.
-Josh

AIM Name: funrl fr a frnd
Old 07-01-2004, 01:04 AM

i got some of those led exhaust tips and wired them into my brake lights so they come on when i step on my brakes, looks pretty neat IMO

there was an atricle in a popular mechanics or a popular science magazine in the last few months that had very detailed instructions on making a bulb flashlight into an LED flashlight, in the morning..make it tomorow tomorow is a busy day, ill look and see if i can find it for you
Old 07-06-2004, 03:57 PM

This site is in Japanese I think but check it out anyway.

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~chevys10/english1.htm

Might help with making your own LED blinkers/brake lights.

odd-T
Old 07-08-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roadmouse
the leds themselves wont be a problem I think, afterall all leds are is miniature lamps!
so all you need to do is run a wire from your brake lights to the spot you want to install the leds.
only problem (a small one tough) is to figure out what resistor you will need. I think you know leds are low voltage thingies so conecting them straight to 12 volts would make them burn out instantly
if hooked up in serie you can get to 12 volts whitout a resistor (similar to some christmas tree lights working on 110 but the lamps are only 6 volt.
ask the salesman about it, I'm sure he can help ya.
470 ohm resistors needed if you are using the standard 3.5 volt leds.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:20 PM

Here's a great source for LEDs, it's an Ebay store named Chi Wing LED product shop. here's the address to it: http://stores.ebay.com/Chi-Wing-LED-...enameZl2QQtZkm

I assume you will want to use Red LEDs, which operate on 1.7V, not the 3V - 3.5V that many other colored LEDs operate on. I have used groups of LED's to replace interior lights, turned out very nicely. I would recommend using several LEDs in series to get a group that takes between 6 & 8V, then calculate the resistor you would need to operate it off 14V not 12V, as they will overcurrent when your engine is running if you base it on 12V; probably wouldn't harm them immidiately, but it will decrease their 11.5 year life!

When deciding how many LEDs to group in series, keep two things in mind: 1) if you make the group voltage too close to 14V, they may not even work with the motor off or while starting the motor. 2) if you make the group voltage too low, you will need larger power handling resistors to dissipate the extra voltage.

In case you don't know how to find the right resistor value, it is:

(Supply Volts - LED Group Volts) / LED Current = Resistor Needed

NOTE: LED Current is in Amps, NOT Milli-amps, so it usually will be 0.02; also, the resistance is in Ohms.

Make sure you use the proper power capacity resistor also, as too small will overheat, and in severe cases could become a fire hazard. The power dissipated (in Watts) by the resistor will be:

LED Current * (Supply Volts - LED Group Volts) = Power Dissipated

Hope this helps ya out!

As for how to make your own light, I used 1/4 inch plexiglass for my interior dome light. I make a paper pattern, then use a sharp object to etch it into the plexi. Find a drill bit the same dia. as your LEDs and a drill press. You hafta go slow, but drill out holes for each LED, then press them into the holes.. If you have the right sized bit, you should have to press them in tightly. If you want to diffuse the light pattern of the LEDs, just sand blast the front of the assembly after you insert the LEDs. Finally, get your 15-30Watt soldering gun / pencil and solder the LEDs into your groups with a resistor for each group (see previous post). Then connect all the + & - sides of the groups and solder on your red and black wires (or pink & purple, doen't really matter as long as ya remember what's what ).

For a taillight, i'd probably not bother defusing the light.. just be sure to aim them straight back.

Last edited by Cav-man; 07-08-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cav-man
Here's a great source for LEDs, it's an Ebay store named Chi Wing LED product shop. here's the address to it: http://stores.ebay.com/Chi-Wing-LED-...enameZl2QQtZkm

I assume you will want to use Red LEDs, which operate on 1.7V, not the 3V - 3.5V that many other colored LEDs operate on.
not all red leds operate on 1.7 volts. in fact, this is the exception, rather than the norm.
always check the specifications of the leds you are using prior to wiring and selecting a resistor.
digikey.com is a good source for low cost leds. they carry a huge selection of them, in different sizes, colors, lens shapes, output brightness, and of course, forward voltage.
for a tail/brakelight application, use the 2 way leds, and make sure that the brightness is a minimum of 2000 mcd (milli candella)
this will help ensure you are not rear ended during the day by some *** who can't see your lights.
I would even recommend 4000+ mcd, as they don't draw much more power (less than an extra 10Ma) and the cost is usually the same.
buy in bulk, and the price drops even more.
arrange a group buy, and you could peobably get the price down to about 12-15 cents each, without buying 1000 at a time and waiting for delivery from HK.
digikey sets up group buys all the time.

Last edited by Motor City; 07-09-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:30 AM

Don't let the fact that the Ebay LEDs are shipped from HK bother you. I have ordered several times thru him and always recieved my orders in 10-11 days after payment is recieved (via PayPal).

Also, most places are going to charge you $4-6 for S&H; the Ebay store offers FREE shipping! Buy it Now for 100 red 5000mcd LEDs is $21 and includes 100 resistors for 12V operation (which you won't need if you are grouping your LEDs).

I prefer this myself over the bother of group buys and extra S&H charges, and at $.21 ea. it sure beats RS!!!!

and yes Motor City.. I agree..
Quote:
always check the specifications of the leds you are using prior to wiring and selecting a resistor.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in