Cutting springs question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2015, 06:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cutting springs question

Just as a general rule of thumb.

If you had a car and you wanted to lower it by cutting the springs, if you removed the spring from the car and removed 2" off the spring would this lower the car 2"?

Or do you have to take into account spring rate?

I've made the mistake a couple of times where I cut the springs on the car without disconnecting the front sway bar only to end up lowering the car more than what i intended to.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 AM

Only cut 1/4 to 1/2 coil off at a time until you get it where you want it. Cutting springs will also increase Spring Rate. And it will change geometry like lower control arms, which you want to maintain at a parallel/horizontal position relative to the ground.

Search this forum and Google for "cut mustang II springs" and you will get tons of info.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

The relationship between spring cut and car lowering will vary based on the suspension geometry, spring geometry, and spring rate. The only thing certain is that it is NOT 1:1. Typically cutting a spring 1" results in a greater than 1" reduction in height, due to the leverage in the suspension arm design. Since this is different for every car, there is no way to know how yours will react. As noted, it's trial and error. Unfortunately, that means a lot more time and effort on your part.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM

I'm wanting to lower my Subaru Baja. It sits about 2 to 3" higher than a Legacy wagon (which it's based on). I haven't been able to determine if the springs in it are the same ones used on the Outbacks which sit higher.

Ebay is awful when it comes to cross referencing parts. One auction says the Baja and Legacy wagon use the same front springs but the Baja obviously sits higher. Then another guy's auction says Legacy springs won't even fit a Baja.

I considered just buying a new set of springs for a standard Legacy wagon but I'm not sure if that will give me the drop I am looking for. That's why I wanted to know about cutting the springs. If it doesn't drop the car, I can always take a coil or two off.

Some people have installed adjustable strut assemblies but $1000 is out of my budget. This is the ride height I'd like to go with:

On the other hand some people install spacers between the body and strut assemblies to raise their Bajas:

Years ago I ordered some new MOOG springs for my 68 Fairlane. I specified the engine size and without A/C (like that really matters on a car that size) only to find out when I installed them, it jacked the front end of the car about 4"!!! Maybe I got a set of big block springs by mistake.

The rear end was sagging to begin with. In the end I had to cut the front springs and install lowering blocks in the rear to get the car level.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Kinda hijacking this thread, but since you asked...

If you are using ebay as a parts manual, you are in big trouble. About 90% of ebay ads will have incorrect applications. These ads are all written to generate clicks, not to be accurate. As for comparing Outback and Legacy springs, why not just go to the nearest dealership and look up the part numbers for the two applications. Either they are the same P/N or they are not. You'll have your definitive answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_padavano For This Useful Post:
malc (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Not always cause different vendors and different specs, SN cutoffs, and inventory control can make the PN different even if the part is basically the same.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

NASIOC is an excellent community for Subaru information. I know there have been some people that swapped the complete strut assemblies front and rear into the Baja's from the 2000-2004 Legacy GT and they claim it rides nice but it's way too low. Brief search brought up that all subaru legacy strut assemblies should be a direct bolt on.

If you decide to cut your springs just make sure they will seat properly once cut. I know a lot of cars have a flat coil on top and bottom to make them seat. Some just come to an end and fit against the strut plates to prevent them from spinning. I know a couple of guys that have done this and did not pay attention to how they seat and the spring came out and stabbed their tires.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafing1 View Post
Only cut 1/4 to 1/2 coil off at a time until you get it where you want it. Cutting springs will also increase Spring Rate. And it will change geometry like lower control arms, which you want to maintain at a parallel/horizontal position relative to the ground.

Search this forum and Google for "cut mustang II springs" and you will get tons of info.
yes, i wanted an inch drop in an s10 with a smallbock and i cut a 1/4 coil off. it reclocked the spring in the a arm enough to get it.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 AM

In reference to your Dreadnought-class Ford; Often when buying new springs, the car will ride high until the spring relaxes. I put new front springs in my transam about 5yrs ago and it sat like a Bi-plane for about a month. Man I was rippin' mad. I called Moog and insisted they were wrong. The tech patiently explained that they will relax some and it'll be fine. Grrr...but I didn't want Eibach sport springs, too low for our pothole-infested roads. Anyway, walked out of work one day and the car was sitting properly....weird but true.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in